Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox Store move hangs at 100%

Hello All,

I am trying to move a mailbox store to a larger partition on the same drive it is currently located on. I have tried moving the database several times, every time the database is created in the new location, it copies quickly (within 2 minutes) since it is on the same drive. However the process dialogue hangs at 100%. I have allowed this to run for over an hour in this state, to no avail. Ultimately, I must forcefully quit the process. After I do this, if I look at the Store properties in ESM, it is still pointed to the old location.

I made a point to backup the database before I did this, there is only one day worth of logs in the logs directory. I assume that if ESM does update logs during the process, that this procedure should be completed relatively quickly. I have ensured that the proper permissions are set on all the applicable directories in the new location. I turned on detailed logging for moves in exchange, and got no errors regarding the process. The only other errors I receive in the event log are 1975 and 1005 errors. It is my understanding that these are normal while the store is dismounted. I have performed this exact procedure on several other servers, and never had problems.

I found a procedure to manually move the database using ADSI edit. I have also heard that there may be unforeseen consequences of performing the move in this way. Has anyone had a similar issue that they were able to solve without editing the ADSI strucure manually? Does anyone here know what the specific negative implications of not using ESM to make the change has on Exchange? Is there some overview available as to what happens during the move, or any other known idicators of what part of the process could be causing the hang?

This server is running Windows SBS 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003 SP2, it is also the primary domain controller.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to save time by answering as many questions as I can upfront.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and returned in kind if possible.

Regards,

Andrew

Re: Mailbox Store move hangs at 100%

First off, make sure you have backups! How big is it, bringing the store online may take a while after a move, even if you have waited an hour. Can you try it overnight? How about running an offline defrag on it before moving too?

I've used the ADSI edit one before and not had an issue but be it on your own head.
    Configuration, Services, Microsoft Exchange, OrgName, Administrative Groups,AdministrativeGroupName, Servers, SERVERNAME, InformationStore, SGNAME, MBName Edit: msExchEDBFile Edit: msExchSLVFile

Shutdown all services making sure the SA is last. Make the change and then bring up the SA first before the rest of the services.

The logs don't care where the DB is. They have a different entry in the schema Configuration, Services, Microsoft Exchange, OrgName, Administrative Groups,AdministrativeGroupName, Servers, SERVERNAME, InformationStore, SGNAME Edit: msExchESEParamLogFilePath

EDIT - What happened to my formatting?!
    Last edited by AndyJG247; 26th November 2008, 14:43.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

The percentage bar is inaccurate.
      While it can appear to "hang" it almost certainly is not.

You haven't said how large the store is, but unless it is empty, 2 minutes is not very long to move the files at all.

I think you are just being impatient and should allow the process to complete.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thank you both for your prompt replies. I will run an offline defrag and retry. Everyone should be gone on Thursday, so I will let it run through the night tonight. The store is 19.2 GB, how long do you think I should give it before I give up on it?

I will post back with results.

Comment

Don't run an offline defrag. That is actually poor advice.

Offline defrags should NOT be considered something that needs to be done regularly, or as part of any maintenance.

Are you prepared for the downtime for an offline defrag? It could take 20 hors or more - the process goes along at between 1 and 4gb per hour.
          Also it is not risk free. You need 110% of free space as the size of your store, plus another backup of the physical files.

As you have now stated the size of your store at 19gb, expecting it to move in two minutes is unrealistic. Therefore my previous response of being inpatient still applies.

I would suggest that you try and move it again, and then simply wait for the process to complete.
          Ensure that any AV software is not scanning the source and destination location, or better still turn it off.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

I wouldn't normally ask for one but it could help with speed if the store is significatly larger than the actual data.
            At the post time as well, I did ask for the size of the store. An offline defrag is sometimes an option when you don't have the benefits of Ent edition.

This isn't meant as a shot back, I just wanted to make sure my explanation was full.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Thanks again guys. The only time I've ever used ESEUTIL before is when I had somewhat-serious problems with a database. I believe the Microsoft article says that it should not be run on a healthy database. So my plan is start a backup as soon as everybody is gone (within an hour now). Then try to move the database again. Then, since I was up all night messing with this, I am going to sleep. If the store is moved, awesome! If it's not, I will probably try an offline defrag. Either way, I will post back to share the outcome.

Kind Regards,

Andrew

Comment

My store is moved, it took 8+ hours.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Comment

Thanks for posting back with your results
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

I am having the exact same problem. My priv1.edb file is approximately 20GB and my priv1.stm is approximately 21GB. My question is whether or not your ESM showed as "Not Responding" in Task Manager. I am trying to move these one at a time due to their large size. When I start the move in ESM it gets to 100% within 1 minute, but then it just sits there and the clock spins. I have let it run for about 2 hours which is probably not long enough, but when I look at the Applications tab in Task Manager, the process shows as "Not Responding". It will then switch to "Responding" for maybe 15-30 seconds and then show as "Not Responding" again and cycles like this for hours. Much like aznedy, I have moved databases MANY times and never run into this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Also, I do not have the luxury of doing an offline defrag even if I wanted to due to lack of disk space. Also, I am trying to move the database to an Internal IDE drive due to lack of disk space in the RAID5 array on the server.

Regards,

Comment

Yes, that is normal. It will sit at 100% until it's done. ESM may report "Not Responding" but the move is still in process. 20GB and 21GB is not that large. Just let it run until it finishes. Microsoft suggests it will move 3-4GB per hour (but I have found that it actually runs faster than that). Be patient with it and let it do it's job.

Comment

Working...
                        X