X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Exch 2003 into Exch 2000 site running in a 2003 R2 Domain

Hi Guys

Brief overview of setup:

Windows 2000 Sp4 with Exchange 2000 Sp3 running as a VM on 4 Esx 3.5 Update 2 Blade Servers (the 4 esx are running about 60 VM's)

I have 2 physical DC's running w2k3 r2 Sp2.

I am having problems with my exchange 2000 server. The problem started last week when the backup failed (Veritas Backup Exec) with access denied to exchange database. I check the credentials and they are correct. The backup log is now stating the the database is corrupt and in the event viewer on the exchange server has source ESE event ID 476 and error 1019 in this event on one store another store has source ESE event ID 474 an error 1018 in this event

The backup is failing and i do not want to dismount the stores to run eseutil /g in case they will not mount again. I have 1500 mailboxes on these stores. I have about 30gb left on the logs drives and i know this will fill up fast. Also to enable circular logging i have to dismount stores Time is against me.

I know i have a couple of options or many more

1. Add a new exchange 2003 server (VM or phyiscal not sure yet ???? preference VM for me comments please) and migrate mailboxes on the new server.

2. Add in new vmdk hard drive and create new store and logs and move mailboxes from corrupt store. (i had to do this 5 weeks ago from the first store cause it was corrupt and now the new store is corrupt)

Not sure what is causing the corruption, I think it is the vm snapshots for esXpress backup which i have stopped.

This exhange server has had a bit of history, it was orginally a exchange 5.5 with inplase upgrade to 2000 standard and then 5 years later inplace upgrade to exchange 2000 enterprise.

I like option 1

Any comments or advice

Cheers

Genoff2000

Re: Adding Exch 2003 into Exch 2000 site running in a 2003 R2 Domain

When is your last valid backup?

Try NT backup first to see if you can get anything backed up that way.

I don't believe it is worth virtualising a mailbox server due to the overheads. FE is fine.

If you can build a second Exchange and move mailboxes great. Physical box. You may find you can't move them all and 1500 is a long time to wait.

Do you know your disk environment is good?

The errors could point to missing files even.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sup...=ESE&LCID=1033
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Cheers Andy

I read that about the missing files and hard drive problem, but the unfortunately, i have just learned that it is not a good idea to put exchange database and logs on a vmdk file

The whole machine is a VM

you learn something new everyday

but you see no problems in adding exch 2003 into exch 2000 site
      and the dc's are 2003 r2

Comment

Whatever the issues with 2003/2000, Microsoft have explicitly stated that Exchange is not supported in VM. Exchange MUST be running on a physical box.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Sorry, that isn't true.
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc794548.aspx
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
          X