No announcement yet.

Backup Exchange Server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Exchange Server

I run an IT shop for a small business. So servers/hardware are always in short supply. I'd like to develop some sort of failover options for our Exchange 2003 server.

I have a few Dell PC's hanging around, that are fairly new, and with decent processors. I was playing with the idea of installing VM's on them, that could provide failover for some of my more important services (DC, Exchange).

So if I go this route, and install a VM on this PC, and put Exchange on it. Is there a way to have Exchange replicate itself, such that if the first machine goes down, the second one picks up immediately?

Re: Backup Exchange Server

I think I've found my answer.. Either run a cluster, or use software like Double Take or Neverfail. Are there not any low cost alternatives?

You could upgrade to Exchange 2007...
      I don't know of a free method I'm afraid and probably wouldn't trust it without many other people having tested it first.

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Does Exchange 2k7 have a failover method?

I don't mind paying for it, within a budget. But the DoubleTake's and Neverfails are several grand (Still waiting on quotes, but looks like around $6k). Clustering would mean another license of Exchange plus Server 2k3, plus hardware..

There are no low cost options with Exchange.

Even with Exchange 2007 you will require two licences of Windows Server and Exchange.
          Clustering or NeverFail, DoubleTake et al are your only options if you want live fail over.

The simple equation is that the longer you can be without email the cheaper it is.

What is the cost of downtime? You can't answer that, only the business can.
          How long can you be without email? Again you can't answer that, only the business can.

Very few businesses actually need instant fail over.
          Those that think they do, I ask a simple question - what do you do if the power is out?
          If they wait, then they don't need instant fail over. If they have a generator the size of a small van out the back then perhaps they do.

A server built on high quality hardware with redundant disks and power supplies will cope with most issues. If a server does fail then I can have something running again in less than an hour. Although it would have to be a major failure to lose the entire hard disk array.
          Motherboard failure is about the only crippling thing with that, but that is pretty rare from the tier 1 vendors.

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.