Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exchange generates a huge amount of logfiles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exchange generates a huge amount of logfiles

    Hi,
    I have a customer on a SBS2003 server, both Windows and Exchange are fully patched with Service packs, and other updates, etc.

    Their Exchange generates between 1000 and 1200 logfiles a day - There are only two persons in the office.
    The Exchange priv1 files are ~23 GB.

    I have other customers, with 10-15 users in the office, they are not generating this huge number of logfiles.

    Is this behavior normal?

    Should I consider to make an offline defrag? http://www.petri.com/defragment_exch..._databases.htm
    Best regards,
    Carsten.

  • #2
    Re: Exchange generates a huge amount of logfiles

    Have you had a look in the Exchange system manager>Servers>right click ur exchange server>properties, then look in the diagnostic logging tab.

    Maybe some of those are turned on and dont need to be.
    Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
    I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

    MCITP -W7,
    MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Exchange generates a huge amount of logfiles

      Are you sure they're being created every day as it sounds to me like logs aren't being deleted or "flushed" after a backup, are the logs 5Mb in size? If this is the case there are two solutions:

      1. If your backup software is Exchange aware there should be a setting to "flush commited logs", this will delete the log files after they have been backed up.
      2. Enable Circular Logging, this will reuse log files instead of creating new ones.

      Enabling circular logging really isn't a good idea though and I wouldn't recommend it.
      If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

      The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Exchange generates a huge amount of logfiles

        Hi,

        Check this out

        Troubleshooting Fast Growing Transaction Logs on Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003
        http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa996191.aspx

        Check this out too. Most probably following this would definitely fix your problem
        http://exchangeserverinfo.com/2007/0...000--2003.aspx

        That's true if you take a Full Backup of the exchange database then committed log files are purged

        Enable circular logging will only consume 25-35 mb of disk space and would be used in cycle. It's not recommended in production env and the backups are limited to full back up only.
        Thanks & Regards
        v-2nas

        MCTS 2008, MCTIP, MCSE 2003, MCSA+Messaging E2K3, MCP, E2K7
        Sr. Wintel Eng. (Investment Bank)
        Independent IT Consultant and Architect
        Blog: http://www.exchadtech.blogspot.com

        Show your appreciation for my help by giving reputation points

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Exchange generates a huge amount of logfiles

          Originally posted by uk_network View Post
          Have you had a look in the Exchange system manager>Servers>right click ur exchange server>properties, then look in the diagnostic logging tab.

          Maybe some of those are turned on and dont need to be.
          Thanks for the answer

          Every item in Diagnostic logging is "off".


          Originally posted by g00ner
          Are you sure they're being created every day as it sounds to me like logs aren't being deleted or "flushed" after a backup, are the logs 5Mb in size? If this is the case there are two solutions:

          1. If your backup software is Exchange aware there should be a setting to "flush commited logs", this will delete the log files after they have been backed up.
          2. Enable Circular Logging, this will reuse log files instead of creating new ones.

          Enabling circular logging really isn't a good idea though and I wouldn't recommend it.
          Yes, the files have the same datestamp, and they are 5120 KB each.

          The backup is running smooth, the files are flushed avery night at 2.00.
          Circular logging is not an option.


          Originally posted by v2nas
          Hi,

          Check this out

          Troubleshooting Fast Growing Transaction Logs on Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server and Exchange Server 2003
          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../aa996191.aspx

          Check this out too. Most probably following this would definitely fix your problem
          http://exchangeserverinfo.com/2007/0...000--2003.aspx

          That's true if you take a Full Backup of the exchange database then committed log files are purged

          Enable circular logging will only consume 25-35 mb of disk space and would be used in cycle. It's not recommended in production env and the backups are limited to full back up only.
          I'll look at your links, and come back with an answer, if it helped, or not.
          Best regards,
          Carsten.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Exchange generates a huge amount of logfiles

            Originally posted by v-2nas View Post
            Hi,



            Check this out too. Most probably following this would definitely fix your problem
            http://exchangeserverinfo.com/2007/0...000--2003.aspx.
            Excellent article, I've saved that link myself.
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

            The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

            Comment

            Working...
            X