No announcement yet.

demoting dc in exchange environment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• demoting dc in exchange environment

dear friends,

I have an environment which contains Domain Controller (win 2k3), additional DC (win 2k3) for fault tolerance and clustered exchange servers (exchange 2003).

Actually our primary domain controller is in very old hard ware so we planned to move the PDC to new hard ware, we planned to transfer the fsmo roles to additional domain controller and demote the primary domain controller, after demoting the old domain controller we will install win 2k3 in new hard ware and promote it as an additional domain controller to the existing one.

We planned like this, so far I am clear from active directory side but from exchange side what changes we have do before demoting the old domain controller. Can anybody explain the procedure what we have to change in exchange servers.

Thanks in advance for your valuable support.

immediate help will be highly appreciated.

Re: demoting dc in exchange environment

Exchange doesn't care.
    As long as you have another domain controller with global catalog roles, and move the FSMO roles correctly, then you shouldn't see any issues.
    I do tend to suggest that the Exchange services are restarted after the domain controller is removed, but that is about it.

There are no priorities in domain controllers in AD. All domain controllers are equal. You have one that holds the PDC emulator role, but that can be moved around like the other FSMO roles.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: demoting dc in exchange environment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
      As long as you have another domain controller with global catalog roles, and move the FSMO roles correctly
      And DNS, which you've probably already setup.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.