No announcement yet.

Secondary Exchange in existing domain.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary Exchange in existing domain.

Hello everyone,

As a fault tolerance, I installed secondary exchange server 2003 in member server (caserver04). When I checked system manager in newly installed sec exchange, I can see my existing exchange server (caserver01). But when I checked Mailboxes, there is no mailboxes in caserver04.
    Now my question is; do i need to move mailboxes to sec exchange? if I did so, what will be left in primary exchange?
    Or is there any thing called replication of mailboxes? So, that both mail servers can work together and also if my main server goes down, will the secondary exchange receives my mail?
    Please help me here to understand how it works.
    Much appreciated.
    And also how do I check that my secondary exchange server is actually working?
    Thanks in advance.
    -biksuni

Re: Secondary Exchange in existing domain.

Hi,

We did the same thing yesterday after doing all the testing i found some issue for which i'm also looking some help. However, i can help you with few points as per my knowledge.
    1. First check the mail routing from your new server to old server whther they are same administrative group or diferent.
    2. In order to check that Create dummy mailboxes in new servers and send mails to users whose mailboxes or in old server and also try to send outside the company. Here i'm facing problem, you can refer my request.
    3. now the real question of fault tolerance? That you have tp expalin what fault tolrance you are loking at, so accordingly probably i can help you. normally there is no faulat tolrance as such in Exchange Server, But you can share the load (mailboxes on eac server) and if required it can be used on the event of DR.

Regards,
    Vicky

Comment

Thanx for your post.
      1. Yes, they are in same domain and same administrative group.
      2. How do I create dummy mailboxes in new server?
      3. I moved couple of mailboxes from old server to new server and when I tried to access using OWA in both old and new server, not successful. Then I moved those mailboxes to old server. working ok.
      4. I am in impression that splitting mailboxes to each of the server can actually make both server work together. Correct me if I am wrong.

Help me please.

Oh, another thing. when I access mailbox which are in old server from new server using OWA like; http://localhost/exchange, it actually works after entering u/n and p/w. But in address bar, you can see http://oldserver/exchange/owa ..meaning even if you access mailbox from new server exchange, it actually refers to old server.

Comment

There is no fault tolerance in Exchange 2003 without using clustering.
        You cannot have "dummy" mailboxes, or another server that the users can connect to.
        If you need high availability then you either have to look at clustering (which requires Enterprise edition of Windows and Exchange, plus some additional hardware) or something like DoubleTake, NeverFail etc, which replicate the data to another server and take care of the changes required in the domain.

Adding a second server to the domain will only allow you to spread out your mailboxes across the the two servers - it does NOTHING for disaster recovery purposes.

Simon.
        --
        Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
        More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
        Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
        In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Here I Go...I'm very happy today that i solved my issue and credit goes to Mr. Simon for giving me valuable tips. So, Iím sharing what i learned in last few days.

Mr Simon has mentioned correctly that there is no fault tolerance as such and about DR he made clear that nothing can be done. Otherwise I was thinking if I can attachť recovery storage group in new server on the event of any issue in old server. It means practically itís not possible. Still Iíll try in my LAB then would share the results and if required would take help from Mr. Simon

As of now answers for your queries, most of them are already answered by Mr, Simon but still

2. Dummy mailboxes simply mean a Test ID in your AD and assign that ID a mailbox on new server. This can be done when you create LAN ID, you have to choose serverŗ Storage Groupŗ Mailbox Store while creating this Test ID. Or any ID which exist in AD and are not in business use, like we administrator keeps some testing ID can also be use here. Just right click on that ID in AD, select Exchange taskŗ Move Mailbox and transfer to newly built server. Then login in outlook with this ID and try to send mails to IDs which exist in Old server and vice versa. Also check if this ID (testing) can send mails to outside world and can receive the same. make sure that you should have SMTP connector in place for mail routing.

3. OWA in local LAN would work normally you work regardless of the fact on which server your mailboxes are, if you put your Old url it would redirect you to new server automatically. However OWA wonít work from Public Network for new server unless you do one of these (as per my knowledge, if someone can help you would be a learning for me as well)Ė
          a. NAT one more public IP with new serverís IP that means you would have 2 URL for accessing OWA, 1 for each server and accordingly user should be made aware that what URL they should open.
          b. You can have Front End/Back End server environment if you donít want to have 2 URL for your company. This would cost you as you have to put one server (H/W and Exchange Server) pls refer http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E64666FC-42B7-48A1-AB85-3C8327D77B70&displaylang=en
          c. Create mailboxes for such users who need OWA on first server only to avoid both of the above option.
          4. Yes, you are right.

Comment

Thanks very much guys.
            One more question, do I have to have AD in secondary exchange?
            Ok, what I did was;
            I created a user called test in AD and mailbox in secondary exchange.
            when I tried to configure outlook in sec. exchange, it asked me to enter username and password. When I entered u/n and p/w that was created in AD in first exchange, it doesn't take it. It keeps on asking me u/n and p/w.

Is there anything that I am missing?

help please.

Comment

If the machine that you are using Outlook on is a member of the same forest as the Exchange server then you should not be getting any username and password prompt. Pass through authentication should be occurring.

If the server is in a different location then it should have a domain controller with it. However you do not need to have DC functionality on the Exchange server itself.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Thanks for your response.
                The machine that i am trying to configure outlook is in same domain and under same admin group.
                When I created a user called 'test', I created using AD snap-in in secondary exchange and the mailbox is also in secondary exchange.
                Whenever i open up outlook, it asks me to enter u/n and p/w.
                I entered 'test' as u/n and password as p/w. It keeps on asking me u/n and p/w.
                I don't know why?

Comment

Originally posted by biksuni View Post
                  Thanks for your response.
                  The machine that i am trying to configure outlook is in same domain and under same admin group.
                  When I created a user called 'test', I created using AD snap-in in secondary exchange and the mailbox is also in secondary exchange.
                  Whenever i open up outlook, it asks me to enter u/n and p/w.
                  I entered 'test' as u/n and password as p/w. It keeps on asking me u/n and p/w.
                  I don't know why?
                  Are you using Outlook 2007? I am having the same issue **see Thread SPN entry ** In my case I believe the exchange isn't pointing to the local GC and for some reason is failing Kerberos authentication.

Comment

I have same situation here.
                    One domain controller and one Exchange 2003.

I am trying to build stable Exchange server with adding a second Exchange to Domain.
                    I will configure second server as a stand-by Exchange Server.

After lots of reading I think that the best way to do this is the DisasterRecovery procedure.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb125070.aspx

This will take some time but I think this is the only way...

You must make regular backups of existing exchange...

If main Exchange server fails:

You must install the same OS on the new server with same disk configuration and paths,

Reset the computer account for failed Exchange Server in AD,

Join new server in domain and rename it like old (failed) server,

Install on new server Exchange with parameter /disasterrecovery
                    <drive>:\SETUP\I386\Setup.exe /disasterrecovery

If you have Service Pack you must install them to in DisasterRecovery Mode...

Restoring the backups on new server must be the last step... and you must have new working old Exchange Server...

I will try all this in virtual machines...
                    And will post the results...

Best regards to all!
                    Ivo Vachkov

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                      I have same situation here.
                      One domain controller and one Exchange 2003.

I am trying to build stable Exchange server with adding a second Exchange to Domain.
                      I will configure second server as a stand-by Exchange Server.

After lots of reading I think that the best way to do this is the DisasterRecovery procedure.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb125070.aspx

This will take some time but I think this is the only way...

You must make regular backups of existing exchange...

If main Exchange server fails:

You must install the same OS on the new server with same disk configuration and paths,

Reset the computer account for failed Exchange Server in AD,

Join new server in domain and rename it like old (failed) server,

Install on new server Exchange with parameter /disasterrecovery
                      <drive>:\SETUP\I386\Setup.exe /disasterrecovery

If you have Service Pack you must install them to in DisasterRecovery Mode...

Restoring the backups on new server must be the last step... and you must have new working old Exchange Server...

I will try all this in virtual machines...
                      And will post the results...

Best regards to all!
                      Ivo Vachkov
                      Why not configure clustering for redundancy as pointed by the Sembee?

Comment

As I know clustering will be the best way for redundancy... But we haven't hardware and software for clustering Exchange...

So I will configure Exchange stand-by server on second server...
                        And will post here if sucess ot failure...

Any advice will be very helpfull!

Thanks in advance!
                        Best regards!

Ivo Vachkov

Comment

Great Johny...
                          Can't wait for your success post.
                          Keep us updated.
                          Thanks

Comment

Hello ALL!

After hours of testing... In few virtual machines... I am very glad to inform You that I have 100% success of Restoring Exchange Server 2003!

My configuration is:

1. One Windows 2003 Server Standart Edition (Domain Controller) with Exchange 2003 Server installed on it.

2. One Backup Domain Controller (Windows 2003 Server Standart Edition)

My purpose was to build standby Exchange Server on Backup Domain Controller. (Faultless Exchange System)

After hours of testing I have a about 20 steps for complite recovery of Exchange on the Backup Domain Controller.
                            In virtual machines it take about 20-30 minutes to complete recovery of exchange. (Maybe faster in real life)

The only think is that the restored mailboxes are from last backup (night backup)... So if I will restore Exchange at the evening I will lose e-mails from the last day...
                            But for me this is not so important, because users holds their e-mails in Personal folders on local workstations.

I can say...

This is a small step for humanity... but this is BIG STEP for me!

And Now I will drink some beer!

Best regards for all!

Ivo Vachkov

Comment

Working...
                            X