Email from Virgin.net arriving corrupted

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email from Virgin.net arriving corrupted

I hope Im posting this in the right section, its just Im unable at this stage to identify where the problem lies.

My organisation runs Exchange Server 2003, and recently we have seen an unusual problem whereby email sent from external consultants from the virgin.net domain are arriving into our mailboxes as plain text wrapped in HTML code which makes the email practically unintelligable.

This only ever happens where the email is originating from virgin.net email addresses. Im wondering if its the client that the consultant is using, a colleague has a virgin email address and sent a test message via the web interface which arrived perfectly. However this is affecting multiple senders.

The client our organisation uses is Office 2007.

Please let me know if my description of the problem is vague or unclear, has anyone seen similar issues as this before?
    Last edited by marcus2704; 13th November 2008, 12:14.

Re: Email from Virgin.net arriving corrupted

What AV/AS do you have running?
    Anything sitting in between Exchange and the internet?

Can you get the consultant to send an email inbound and CC an external account. Does this show the problem internally but no issue externally?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

hi, thanks for the reply.

We have Messagelabs client that provides mail (spam) filtering and AV protection, from there the email goes through our mail gateway NetIQ MailMarshall, and then to Exchange.

I will see if I can get a consultant to send a test email as you suggest.

Comment

Ah..
        We have a problem through message labs with the message at the bottom "click here to report as spam" or similar. It only affects the users in Argentina and changes the text font to white (bizarre or what).
        I would ask them to have a look into it for you as I believe the message is added as html code.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Interesting, Ill ask Messagelabs and hope they can provide some sort of explanation for this.

Comment

I would still see if you can get the test message sent too as it may not be the issue in your case.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Ask them if they're using the Virgin webmail - it's a shockingly awful interface to work with and butchers your messages.

If they are, ask them to setup their account in a mail client using IMAP (messages are stored on the server, not locally, so nothing to lose should the decide to return to webmail). The server addresses vary depending on which Virgin domain they are sending from - check here http://www.virginmedia.com/help/chec...&app=helpemail if you need help.
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Working...
              X