Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS Exchange 2003 RPC/Https (THe action cannot be completed. The connection is ...etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Exchange 2003 RPC/Https (THe action cannot be completed. The connection is ...etc.

Hello please help,
    I'm getting errors with Microsoft outlook client 2007 when trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange 2003, RPC/Https. FYI, checking email through OWA is working fine. I am able to nslookup and it resolved the DNS and WAN IP correctly. I'm not sure if this is the client side or the server side issue. I was successfully connected this same client PC with outlook 2007 with another RPC/Https exchange server. When i tried to switch to this server problem occurrs. Please help...there is no firewall.

JKirin

Re: MS Exchange 2003 RPC/Https (THe action cannot be completed. The connection is ...

What errors? The more information you provide the better.

What SP is the Exchange? How many Exchange? What certificate? If you have no firewall then you are massively exposed to the dangers of the internet and you need to fix that ASAP. Can you connect internally? Do Outlook 2003 clients connect, has this ever worked etc??
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: MS Exchange 2003 RPC/Https (THe action cannot be completed. The connection is ...

Hi thank you for your quick response.
      SOrry I didn't get to tell the background on my original thread. Actually i'm using Microsoft Outlook 2007, trying to connect to Microsoft Exhange Server 2003, RPC/HTTPs. The machine is now connected to a firewall, thank you for your reminder. I tried to configure the client which using ms outlook 2007 connect to ms exchange 2003 server with and without a firewall is still not working.

I also tried with many PCs inside my network AD and without is still no luck. The error is just cannot contact the exchange server: outlook cannot be connected to the exchange server. I'm using Equifex SSL cert. It has working fine with my other exchange rpc/https.

What i don't understand is OWA is working fine but when trying to connect using the FQDN is it cannot be reached to the server. NOD32 anti-virus is installed but no windows firewall is enabled b/c it's suck.

So sad

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      What errors? The more information you provide the better.

What SP is the Exchange? How many Exchange? What certificate? If you have no firewall then you are massively exposed to the dangers of the internet and you need to fix that ASAP. Can you connect internally? Do Outlook 2003 clients connect, has this ever worked etc??
      Last edited by dykirin; 10th November 2008, 09:32.

Comment

The title says Exchange 2003 but your last post says 2007?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Dear Andy,
          I'm trying to config MS Outlook 2007 as a client side and Microsoft Exchange 2003 Server RPC/HTTPs.

The title says Exchange 2003 but your last post says 2007?

Comment

Ok, I can see you've edited it now. Thanks.

You state you have other connections working fine for RPC/HTTPS are these only 2003 clients or do you have 2007 clients also working?

Are you putting in the settings manually into Outlook 2007 or trying to use the autodiscover?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Andy,
              thank you for trying to help me. This exchange server i setup hosting multiple domains for multiple email accounts. All domains can send and receive email with no problem through OWA. I certainly have faith that I setup correctly of the MX record, and A record. Otherwise I wouldn't get this far able to send and receive email via OWA wouldn't I? For example, my exchange server is named: example.abc.com = WAN IP: 122.345.222.123. Lets forget about firewall for now. When I perform a NSLOOKUP from IP and FQDN all resolved fine. When i tried to configure with either Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007 client it doesn't work. An errors pop up stating cannot contact exchange server. It seems everything setup right because I had one server configured running exactly the same as this. I formatted the others and transferred all my clients domain to this new exchange then I started to see problem cannot config outlook 2003 or 2007 to connect with this exchange 2003 server.

How I configured my domain for records:

PTR 122.345.222.124 = web server

DNS Record:
              Record Type = A
              Domain name: example.abc.com
              IP Address: 122.345.222.123

MX Record:
              Record Type MX
              domain = .abc.com
              Email Exchanger: example.abc.com <<<--(this is the exchange domain i tried to use when configure multiple domains email accounts to outlook 2003 or 2007 clients)

I hope you can sense the problem...
              Thanks again,
              dykirin

Ok, I can see you've edited it now. Thanks.

You state you have other connections working fine for RPC/HTTPS are these only 2003 clients or do you have 2007 clients also working?

Are you putting in the settings manually into Outlook 2007 or trying to use the autodiscover?
              Last edited by dykirin; 10th November 2008, 14:50.

Comment

Ok. Have you followed " this " to configure the ports etc? and can you confirm you have SP2 installed?
                Can you write down the exact settings you are putting in Outlook as well please (after changing the personally identifiable information).

I don't doubt you have your records setup correctly as long as you have the certificate matching the A record name which you put into Outlook.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Brother,
                  I think i have passed that long time ago. But I will go through double check all over again. I will let you know.

Thanks,
                  dykirin

Ok. Have you followed " this " to configure the ports etc? and can you confirm you have SP2 installed?
                  Can you write down the exact settings you are putting in Outlook as well please (after changing the personally identifiable information).

I don't doubt you have your records setup correctly as long as you have the certificate matching the A record name which you put into Outlook.

Comment

There is something wrong somewhere so it can't harm to check.
                    You can use this site to test the configuration
                    https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,
                      I'm getting the errors below when i ran the test on exchange server rpc/https testing. but for the client connection it passed!!!

Connectivity Test Failed

Test Details

Copy to ClipboardExpand/Collapse Testing RPC/HTTP connectivity RPC/HTTP test failed Test Steps OK Attempting to Resolve the host name example.abc.com in DNS. Host successfully ResolvedAdditional Details IP(s) returned: 123.146.445.185Testing TCP Port 443 on host example.abc.com to ensure it is listening/open. The port was opened successfully.Testing SSLCertificate for validity. The certificate passed all validation requirements.Additional Details Subject: CN=example.abc.com, OU=Domain Control Validated - QuickSSL Premium(R), OU=See www.geotrust.com/resources/cps (c)08, OU=GT62000000, O=example.abc.com, C=TH, Issuer OU=Equifax Secure Certificate Authority, O=Equifax, C=USTesting SSL mutual authentication with RPC Proxy server Successfully verified Mutual AuthenticationAdditional Details Certificate common name example.abc.com matches msstd:example.abc.comTesting Http Authentication Methods for URL https://example.abc.com/rpc/rpcproxy.dll Http Authentication Test failed Tell me more about this stepAdditional Details Initial Anonymous request did not fail with Expected 401 response and Anonymous is disallowed. HTTP Status: NotFound

There is something wrong somewhere so it can't harm to check.
                      You can use this site to test the configuration
                      https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dykirin View Post
                        Testing Http Authentication Methods for URL https://example.abc.com/rpc/rpcproxy.dll Http Authentication Test failed [IMG]
                        Are you choosing Basic or NTLM authentication in Outlook?
                        (Check email-account properties, More settings, Connection tab, Exchange proxy Settings)
                        Best regards,
                        Carsten.

Comment

I chose Basic. I'm setting up a new Exchange now without using RPC/HTTPs techniques. Any good source remmend how to install and configure? Basically this server is going to run off my AD infrastructure.

Thanks in advance,
                          dykirin

Originally posted by cs.dk View Post
                          Are you choosing Basic or NTLM authentication in Outlook?
                          (Check email-account properties, More settings, Connection tab, Exchange proxy Settings)

Comment

Working...
                          X