Listserver with Exchange 2003?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listserver with Exchange 2003?

Does Exchange 2003 natively support listservers or is there an add-on anyone would recommend?

Thanks,

Todd.

Re: Listserver with Exchange 2003?

What do you mean exactly when you say supporting "listservers"? Exchange supports *lists* - create a Security Group or Distribution Group in AD and specify an email address for the group. Mail sent to that address will be received by each group member.

If you mean you want to define members of a list who aren't in AD, then I believe it's possible to do this. I'll post a link to some documentation on Monday (it's in my bookmarks at work) unless someone beats me to it.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Gareth,

What I'm looking for is the ability for non-AD people to automatically subscribe and unsubscribe from an email list (i.e. majordomo style).

I may have found the solution with a free version of L-soft's Listserv product. However, I would appreciate the documentation you wrote about.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for posting back with your findings

I'll see if I can get that documentation for you on Monday. I should stress though that it does not allow users to subscribe or unsubscribe - this is still performed by the administrator.

Out of interest, does the free version of Listserv tie in with Exchange, or is it entirely separate?
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

There is no listserv functionality in Exchange 2003, or Exchange 2007. I know it was requested for the next version of Exchange, but I don't know if it was actually in that product.

There are a few scripts floating around, but I haven't tried any.
          I usually suggest that a third party product is used, one that can handle the unsubscribes, bounces etc. Usually I go for Lyris.
          I also recommend that it is run on a separate IP address and domain (even a sub domain such as lists.example.net ) as you will get on a blacklist at some point.

While you can use Exchange groups for the functionality, it means creating a mail enabled contact in your domain for every single address. That will be a lot of admin overload and is not something I recommend. Exchange cannot cope with the bounce messages and therefore you may find that you are constantly bouncing messages to a sender (Which will get you blacklisted) because you do not know anything about them - particularly if you are allowing external people to send email to the list. Then there are issues about the list being abused (a listserv product would detect that and block it). Then finally we come to the simple issue that Exchange is just poor at bulk emailing, which including sending the same message to a large number of people.

Simon.
          --
          Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
          More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
          Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
          In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

All good points. Thanks for your insights, and congrats on the 750 rep

Edit: 753
            Gareth Howells

Comment

Edit: 756
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X