No announcement yet.

Quick help needed, how to temporarily disable incoming mail

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick help needed, how to temporarily disable incoming mail

I need to temporarily disable incoming EXTERNAL mail.

how can I do it?

Mentally I'm still stuck in exchange 5.5 mode where you could simply stop the Internet Mail service and meanwhile the internal mail would still work fine.

I see a "disable outgoing mail" button in the SMTP properties, but will that stop the mail from coming in as well???

we have our ISP doing caching up to 5 days so during live tests I really don't want to have mail coming in, at least not until we are ready for it.

Do you have another mail server on site? If not, you could always block incoming port 25 on your router.

I can't believe MS wouldn't do the same thing as they did with 5.5

there really is no EASY way of doing this?

yeah I could easily go to the firewall or router and do it from there, but I was hoping for a bit simpler solution, lol

if anybody else has any ideas I'd be very grateful if you could post them before the end of day tomorrow otherwise I really will have to do it through a firewall and that's just no fun at all, hehe

Run your SMTP server on a different port to 25 !

Can't get much more simple than that !!

* Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

different port than 25... hmm... firewall forwards the mail to ip:25 so if there isn't an SMTP server at port 25 it won't catch the mail...

that's TOO easy, haha, thanks, I'll give that a shot tonight.