Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to move mailboxes from old exchange server to new server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to move mailboxes from old exchange server to new server?

Hi Guys,
    I am new in this forum so please bear with me if this has been answered before.

Basically I tried to search for move mailbox from one server to a new server but could not find it.

The problem is that our old server decided to die on us (the motherboard)
    As a result of that we decided to purchase a new server where we have installed SBS 2003 again.

The problem is now, how do I move the mailboxes to the new server?
    Will I have to re-create the exact same users, or can I import them from the old drive somehow?

I hope that someone can help here, as I am lost......

Best regards,
    Kristoffer

Re: How to move mailboxes from old exchange server to new server?

Just to confirm, the data on the servers is just as if the server was turned off?
    Have you tried accessing the files just to confirm you can read them etc?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

If it is SBS then you have probably lost everything domain wise.
      Therefore you will have to build a new domain and create new users etc.
      Use the same names for everything and the databases MIGHT mount. However that isn't guaranteed.

Personally I would recommend a call to Microsoft and pay their fee. Explain what you have done and they will guide you through it. I recommend that for any kind of DR, because if you aren't careful you can cause more problems fiddling around which reduces the chances of a successful recovery.

Simon.
      --
      Simon Butler
      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Hi Andy,

All the data is on the HDD, and there is no problems in reading it.
        I just need to know how to mount the old mailboxes on the new server.....

Best regards,
        Kristoffer

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
          If it is SBS then you have probably lost everything domain wise.
          Therefore you will have to build a new domain and create new users etc.
          Use the same names for everything and the databases MIGHT mount. However that isn't guaranteed.

Personally I would recommend a call to Microsoft and pay their fee. Explain what you have done and they will guide you through it. I recommend that for any kind of DR, because if you aren't careful you can cause more problems fiddling around which reduces the chances of a successful recovery.

Simon.
          Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.
          Can you tell me how to mount the old databases on the SBS2003?
          It is not a problem to create the users manually as we are only 10 users, wont take long to do that.

Best regards,
          Kristoffer

Comment

Originally posted by kmf_fab View Post
            Hi Simon, thanks for the reply.
            Can you tell me how to mount the old databases on the SBS2003?
            It is not a problem to create the users manually as we are only 10 users, wont take long to do that.

Best regards,
            Kristoffer
            You can't just mount the database on another server unless the new server is identical to the original - so same name, domain name and Exchange org. If you haven't recorded that information then you will be unable to mount the databases. That will mean third party utilities to extract the data - OnTrack Power Controls is the only one I am aware of.

Simon.
            --
            Simon Butler
            Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
            More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
            Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
            In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Sembee View Post
              You can't just mount the database on another server unless the new server is identical to the original - so same name, domain name and Exchange org. If you haven't recorded that information then you will be unable to mount the databases. That will mean third party utilities to extract the data - OnTrack Power Controls is the only one I am aware of.

Simon.
              Hi Simon,
              Thanks for the reply it is appreciated!
              It looks like I have to involve a 3rd party software which is a shame...
              If you or someone else know of any other alternative ways of doing this then please let me know as our budget is used already on the new server...

Best regards,
              Kristoffer

Comment

How about setting up the rest of your network first, get your users created and email flowing so the business can continue. Then look into building a new server with the same details as before to try and recover your Exchange data? You could even use a VM.
                Do you have backups of Exchange? I assume your new server isn't the same name etc as the old one?
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

If the Outlook clients were using offline files / cached Exchange, then at least you can pull their stuff into PSTs and back into the new Exchange accounts, if there aren't many users.

Or, if the disk system is usable by any-old-PC (SATA disks, RAID1 - just use a single disk, or no RAID), you could stick the disk in a basic PC, do an in-place upgrade of the SBS to attempt to get the basic PC up and running as the old server, then as long as the mailboxes were below 2gb (which would have been the GUI-enforced limit in SBS 2003 anyway), you could use exmerge to dump the mailboxes into PSTs, and an Outlook client to copy the public folders into another PST.

Comment

Originally posted by kmf_fab View Post
                    Hi Simon,
                    Thanks for the reply it is appreciated!
                    It looks like I have to involve a 3rd party software which is a shame...
                    If you or someone else know of any other alternative ways of doing this then please let me know as our budget is used already on the new server...

Best regards,
                    Kristoffer
                    I think SBS 2003 uses the netbios domain name as the Exchange organization name, unlike full Exchange 2003 which defaults for "First Organization" and allows you to specify it how you want, so if you have set up the new domain using the same name as the old one, and if you have the server called the same as the old one, then you may have all the boxes ticked and just be able to mount the databases.. has to be worth a go! Just stop Exchange Information Store, take the contents of the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA directory from the old system into the same directory in the new system. Move the existing blank databases and other files out of the way first, say into a subdirectory called "moved". Then start the Information Store and see if the databases will mount. If it fails, oh well.. but has to be worth a try since it's not difficult to try, unless you know already you have used a different Domain name and/or server name.

If it works I think you have to associate those mailboxes with users, since they're currently associated with users who don't actually exist any more (different SIDs), but it's been a long time since I did anything like this.

There's probably way more to it than that, but I'm sure you'll figure your way through or one of the Exchange experts above will advise.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Farrington View Post
                      I think SBS 2003 uses the netbios domain name as the Exchange organization name, unlike full Exchange 2003 which defaults for "First Organization" and allows you to specify it how you want, so if you have set up the new domain using the same name as the old one, and if you have the server called the same as the old one, then you may have all the boxes ticked and just be able to mount the databases.. has to be worth a go! Just stop Exchange Information Store, take the contents of the \Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA directory from the old system into the same directory in the new system. Move the existing blank databases and other files out of the way first, say into a subdirectory called "moved". Then start the Information Store and see if the databases will mount. If it fails, oh well.. but has to be worth a try since it's not difficult to try, unless you know already you have used a different Domain name and/or server name.

If it works I think you have to associate those mailboxes with users, since they're currently associated with users who don't actually exist any more (different SIDs), but it's been a long time since I did anything like this.

There's probably way more to it than that, but I'm sure you'll figure your way through or one of the Exchange experts above will advise.
                      Hi Carl,

Thank you for your suggestion, but since we had to do this I also changed the computername and DNS, so this will not work

Best regards,
                      Kristoffer

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Farrington View Post
                        If the Outlook clients were using offline files / cached Exchange, then at least you can pull their stuff into PSTs and back into the new Exchange accounts, if there aren't many users.

Or, if the disk system is usable by any-old-PC (SATA disks, RAID1 - just use a single disk, or no RAID), you could stick the disk in a basic PC, do an in-place upgrade of the SBS to attempt to get the basic PC up and running as the old server, then as long as the mailboxes were below 2gb (which would have been the GUI-enforced limit in SBS 2003 anyway), you could use exmerge to dump the mailboxes into PSTs, and an Outlook client to copy the public folders into another PST.
                        Hi Carl,

Exmerge might be the way to go, I shall see if this is possible....

Best regards,
                        Kristoffer

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                          How about setting up the rest of your network first, get your users created and email flowing so the business can continue. Then look into building a new server with the same details as before to try and recover your Exchange data? You could even use a VM.
                          Do you have backups of Exchange? I assume your new server isn't the same name etc as the old one?
                          Hi Andy,
                          Yes it looks like I might have to do this (I already have the new server up and running, so yes we are back in business )

Best regards,
                          Kristoffer

Comment

I might be too late, but if you HAD a copy of all of the .pst files, I would think that you could import those into the new exchange server after you created the users.

I work in a small office, so adding 15 names wouldn't take that much time. This is obviously not a great method if you are the admin of a large network.

I backup all of the users PST file with exmerge once a week.

Comment

I believe we just had the dirty shutdown flat files to deal with.
                              cheers
                              Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X