No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 - Reliable system

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 - Reliable system

Hello all!

I need some help... I am trying to build secured and reliable Exchange system. In Virtual machine I am trying to simulate this Exchange System...

I have two domain controllers. Two Exchange 2003 servers (on those Domain Controllers).

First I installed Exchange on one Domain Controller and then I installed Exchange on second domain controller.

So... Can I ask... What is the best way if one Exchange serverd (Domain Controllers) fails, stops... Can I make something like Cluster with two domain controllers and Two Exchange 2003 servers...

Thanks in advance...
    Best regards to all!

Ivo Vachkov

Re: Exchange 2003 - Reliable system

The best practice is not to have exchange on a domain controller at all.

Basically no.
      Don't install Exchange on a domain controller, setup min of 2 DC, cluster the backend server, nlb the front end servers. Total =6 VM for a "as good as you can get" test (assuming you can setup and get those things working).

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thanks for quick answers!

I know that it is not a good idea to install Exchange on Domain Controller...

But in real life I have only two Proliant Servers! How to make Reliable Exchange System with two Proliant Servers?

I must to make Exchange system for about 200 users. And those users will work with POP3 and SMTP only...

With two Proliant Servers...

Best Regards!

Ivo Vachkov

Maybe look at Small Business Server.

SBS has a max of 75 authorized nodes IIRC.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

200 users with POP3/SMTP ?

Take Exchange CD, find the nearest bin.
              Deposit said CD in the bin.

Install IIS with the POP3 and SMTP functionality.

Purchase something else, such as SmarterMail, or use an open source product.

Using Exchange for POP3/SMTP only is like buying a 48 tonne truck to go shopping for the weekly groceries or using a bus to take your kid to school.

If you install Exchange on to a domain controller then the other machine will not be used by Exchange at all. Exchange will only use the server it is installed on, if it is a domain controller.

Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
              Exchange Resources List:
              In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.