Open DNS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open DNS

Has anyone else experienced non delivered mail when using their servers if a domain is blocked within the content filtering rule?
    To get around this, I have used OpenDNS as forwarders on the Domain Controllers and the ISP's for Exchange.

Thanks for looking,

Simon

Re: Open DNS

I'm clearly having a dense day..!

Are you saying you get dropped emails when you block the domain through a content filtering rule?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy,

Me too!

Yep, that's it. Revert to ISP, and works fine. Every domain that is not delivered, is in the explicit "blocked" rule.

Simon

Comment

It sounds to me like your Exchange server is configured to send using DNS. Try configuring the Internet Mail SMTP Connector to send via a smart host ie your ISP's smtp server.
        If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

Hi,

There is only one SMTP connector, and there is no smart host listed. We have Mailmarshal SMTP installed on our Front-end Server, and since using Open DNS, i have had to enter the ISP DNS IP's in the configuration to prevent it looking to a domain controller which is using OpenDNS. This is working correctly, but was curious as to whether others had experienced this.

Thanks for looking.

Simon

Comment

here's an idea... have you tried whitelisting the mx records for the affected domains in opendns?
            If the information you receive helps please let us know and leave reputation points where appropriate.

The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do. The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do. - Ted Nelson

Comment

No, i haven't, thanks! I will do just that, and report back.

Many thanks.

Simon

Comment

Hi,
                Just to update on this: the whitelisting works, but i have decided to revert back to the ISP's DNS Servers for Exchange. The reason being - what happens if someone attempts to send mail to an account not on the list when i am not here to add the entry.

Shame that OpenDNS works in this way.

Simon

Comment

Working...
                X