Restore from NTBackup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore from NTBackup

I am new to exchange and currently practicing backing up and restoring exchange 2003 so that I am ready if I need to do this in the real world. I am using ntbackup, but it isn't working the way I expected. Here is the scenario I am trying: User1 sends email to User2 on Monday. Monday night NTBackup runs normal backup successfully on exchange. Tuesday morning User2 deletes said email from inbox and deleted items. Tuesday afternoon User2 realizes they need that email, so i restore exchange from monday nights backup, however once the restore is completed, the email isn't back in his inbox. I was expecting the restore to put exchange back to exactly how it was on Monday night when it was backed up. Is this not the case? Am I missing something?

Re: Restore from NTBackup

Where are you restoring it to?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

restoring it to the same server. obviously this isn't something you would do in the real world, but i am more or less playing around to see how the restores work

Comment

For this you would normally use the recovery storage group. Did you look at the restore logs at all?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

1)After reading about the recovery storage group, yes i agree I would need to use that method.

2)Didn't read any logs, not sure what ones to look at and where they would exist.

3)Agreeing that I would need to use the recovery storage group for my scenario, I am still curious as to why my restore (which completed successfully) doesn't reflect the exchange database from the time of backup.

Comment

The log will probably show you the restore failed.
            The DBs are mounted and likely not overwritable with a restore.

I don't remember where the default logs are stored, setup a new job and I'm sure it says there, if not google gave me this.
            http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~dzubera...uplogs2003.txt
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

dismounting the current store before the restore (based on directions from this site).

Comment

Anything in the logs?
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Log contents below.

I must be missing something. do I have to clear any transaction logs before I restore?

Restore Status
                  Operation: Restore

Backup of "LF-TEST-SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group", Restored to"LF-TEST-SERVER\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group"
                  Backup set #1 on media #1
                  Backup description: "Set created 10/21/2008 at 11:30 AM"

Restore started on 10/21/2008 at 11:35 AM.
                  Restore completed on 10/21/2008 at 11:35 AM.
                  Directories: 3
                  Files: 3
                  Bytes: 15,749,580
                  Time: 3 seconds

----------------------

Comment

I think I found my issue, this is per microsoft: "By default, when you restore a backup, transactions that occur after you perform the backup, recommit to the database. This may cause unexpected behavior, such as the deletion of restored mailboxes."

so if this is true 1)can you change the functionality so that those transactions don't recommit. 2)Is using NTBackup for exchange the best way to restore a exchange database to a specific point in time?

Comment

If the previous transaction logs are available then Exchange will replay them. The idea of the transaction logs is to fill in the gap between each backup.
                      If you don't want the transaction logs to replay then you need to remove them - with the store stopped.

If I am doing a point of time restore of Exchange then it is either to the RSG or a recovery server - never to production.

If you are testing this in a lab then you really should be simulating what you would do for real. If you are restoring to production database then you would be looking to get as much data back as possible.
                      If you are restoring to practise discovery purposes then you use slightly different techniques.

Simon.
                      --
                      Simon Butler
                      Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                      More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                      Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                      In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

thanks to everyone for the help, now I know what to expect and how to attack different scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                        X