No announcement yet.

554 Transaction Failed

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 554 Transaction Failed

I have a fully functional exchange 2003 server but there is one little problem.

The thing is, a person at a specific domain tries to email me but all he gets is the

"554 Transaction Failed:
    Sender Email-Id is different from
    Display Email-Id"

The sender says that sender email is exactly the same as display id...

A second user at the very same domain CAN email me. But he uses Thunderbird. The rest of their organization uses Lotus Notes and their email server is a Lotus Domino server.

I have no problems sending email trough Gmail. But when I try to send email via Gmail and specifies another sender account (different from the first), that mail just disappears. I havenít found it yet in any log.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Re: 554 Transaction Failed

That isn't an Exchange error.
    Therefore it is being generated by something else. Do you have any third party tools scanning email? Antivirus, Antispam? An appliance between Exchange and the internet?

Until the message hits your org there is nothing you can do to trace it. In cases like this Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo are close to useless as you cannot see what is happening to the message. Try using the MX verify tool:

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Re: 554 Transaction Failed

Thanks for your post.

I tried the link you sent to me, and there were no errors reported.

But on the other hand I thought more of the peripherals you mentioned. We had a new firewall installed a few weeks ago, I thought I had it under control but apparently not .

There was a little check box that I have missed and it said: "Deny emails with mismatching SMTP command "From" address and email header "From" address. "

In this writing moment I'm waiting reply from the very domain the problem concerned, hopefully it will get pass the FW. I tried from Gmail with different from-addresses and it passed...

//Homer - Damn those new firewall