No announcement yet.

eseutil did no shrink edb

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eseutil did no shrink edb

My Public Folders Store got too big. I backed up and deleted some old folders aprox. 10 GB. I then used:
    eseutil.exe /d /p pub1.edb /ttemppub.edb
    The changes are minor - the difference is ~ 200 MB in total (for the edb and stm).

Am I doing something wrong?

Re: eseutil did no shrink edb

Make sure an online defrag is done and then try the offline defrag.

Online defrag is run each night. The last online defrag didn't help either. I shall offline-defrag the DB again and revert.

Is the online defrag completing? If so, the event log will show you how much free space (white space) is in the database. This free space is the amount that an offline defrag will shrink.

The key point is whether event ID 1221 appears in the event log and how much white space it shows. If you deleted the data today, and your deleted item retention is two weeks, then doing an offline defrag tomorrow isn't going to help.

Are you sure that the online defrag is completing? Many people think it is, but when the logs are checked, find it is not.

Simon Butler
          Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
          Exchange Resources List:
          In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

I set retention time to 1 day and waited for the next successful online defrag - after which the offline defrag cleaned the amount of space which was mentioned in EID 1221.

Thanks for all your help!

Hag Sameach