No announcement yet.

Creating Additional Public Folders

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating Additional Public Folders

I have Exchange 2003 Standard running on 2003 Server Standard. Pre-sales tech. supt claimed that Exchange Standard allowed for 5 databases (1-mailbox store, 1-default public folder, 3-additional public folders).

I have been able to create an additional public folder and store but I cannot access it from Outlook XP (2002) or Outlook 2007. Only the Default Public Folder and the users Mailbox are "seen" in the folder list.

Any ideas?

Re: Creating Additional Public Folders

Standard Edition supports one message database per server, and supports databases up to 16 GB in size. Beginning with the release of Service Pack 2, Standard Edition allows a maximum database size of 75 GB, but only supports 18 GB by default; larger sized databases have to be updated-in with a registry change.

Can you give us more information about your Server's database size?
    Is there any errors at the event logs?

Selcuk Algun

Exchange 2003 Standard w/ SP2. Registry has been modified from 18GB to 75GB limit. No errors in event viewer.

I am trying to create an "Old Mail" Folder for each user that can move or archive non-current mail items to.
      Last edited by rjtapp; 1st October 2008, 22:07.

The additional PF Stores are not available to outlook
        You can access them through a browser or through the Exchange FS if it is made visible
        (See & &
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

AFAIK, standard edition allows for only one storage group, one mailbox store, and one pf store. You can create an unlimited number of folders in the pf store so why not just do that? Why do you think you need a new pf store to suit your needs?

I was simply trying to load balance the storage of old mail across two databases. I can get by with one if that is what I have to live with. Thanks for the quick replies.