No announcement yet.

Exchange 2K3 Messages stuck

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exchange 2K3 Messages stuck


    Exchange 2003 Enterprise edition

    I've had several incidents where mail was stuck in the categorizer. Mail was sent internally and externally. I checked the Message Tracking Center and the following was showing on the messages in question:

    SMTP: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing
    SMTP: Started Message Submission to Advanced Queue
    SMTP: Message Submitted to Categorizer

    When I first noticed this happening I saw an error in the application log that repeated every minute from the MSExchangeAL event ID 8331. I restarted the Exchange System Attendant service and this error disappeared. However, I'm still having the problem with some messages not reaching their destination. So, I don't know if it was related. This is a major production server so I haven't completely rebooted it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.


  • #2
    Try looking at for that event id. I saw some interesting stuff there, but I don't know which one best fits your case. You need to be a member to get all the details, but if you're not let me know and I'll copy/paste what I got.

    Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services


    • #3
      Thanks Daniel! I am not a member of that service so any info you found would be appreciated. I've since rebooted the server (in the wee hours of the morning I might add). We'll see what else crops up. It's a really bizarre problem.


      • #4
        Here you go:

        (btw, it's really worth the $25 per year they're asking...)

        Ionut Marin (Last update 3/9/2005):
        From a newsgroup post: "My guess is that there are bugs in the Recipient Update Service, that manifest this error when rapid changes are made to a user’s AD attributes. Probably these changes are being made across the RUS update cycle and the attributes get out of sync. After looking at MS KB Q821908, I noticed that some administrator accounts had the “showInAddressBook” attribute out of sync with AD U&C. These were mailboxes that I had toggled the checkbox off and on a few times. Then I did the following:
        1) Removed the "Hide From Exchange Address List" attribute of an administrator account that I had previously set.
        2) Changed the update interval of "The Recipient Update Service" (which of course is not a real service and thus causes the entire MS SA and IS to have to be restarted) to be only every 4 hours.
        3) Restarted SA/Exchange for the settings to take effect.
        I then was able to enable the “Hide” function in AD Users & Computers for my account, manually run the Recipient Update Service, and have everything work properly without an error".

        Several users stated that installing the Exchange 2003 Service Pack 1 solved this problem for them.

        Jason Clarke (Last update 3/31/2004):
        There is a hotfix available for this problem, and is available from Microsoft Product Support Services. Go to to find the number for your local MS PSS centre - give them a call. The call is free of charge. Details on this error will be appearing under KB article 837444 soon. This hotfix will also be included in the service pack for Exchange 2003.
        Note! This hotfix is for Exchange 2003 only. For more info on this event - please see the "E-Bitz - SBS MVP the Official Blog" link. The article is dated March 19, 2004.

        Anonymous (Last update 3/31/2004):
        See WINSUG SBS 2003 Info link. This has been determined to be a bug for Exchange 2003.

        Doug Masters (Last update 3/31/2004):
        The upcoming MS KnowledgeBase article is Q837444. As of March 23, 2004, the hotfix has been through about 80% of the testing it will get before becoming publicly available.

        Doug Masters (Last update 3/13/2004):
        No need to totally restart the server, or waste time with "setup /forestprep" and "setup /domainprep". Just restart the MSE System Attendant service.

        Adrian Grigorof (Last update 1/27/2004):
        Path: y:\dsa\src\lra\abv_dg\lservagent.cpp - Reported on W2K3 running Exchange 2003 - no additional info

        Path: f:\titanium\dsa\src\lra\abv_dg\lservagent.cpp - Reported on Small Business Server 2003.
        From a newsgroup post: "Try re-running setup /forestprep and setup /domainprep and then restarting all of the Exchange services."

        From a newsgroup post: "Domainprep & ForestPrep perform the following tasks:
        1. Extends the Active Directory schema to include Exchange-specific information. This affects the entire forest and, depending on the size of Active Directory, may take a considerable amount of time to complete.
        2. Assigns the Exchange Full Administrator role to the account that you specify during the ForestPrep process.
        They do not reinstall Exchange, nor will they affect the Exchange Information Store. However, it is strongly recommended restarting the SBS server after performing Domainprep & ForestPrep. On the servers giving the 8331, we have seen the issues like when adding a user or group, you find they are not added in the Global Address list".

        Other newsgroup posts suggest a restart but warn that the error will start again after 2-3 days.

        Thomas Christensen (Last update 12/8/2003):
        Path: "f:\titanium\dsa\src\lra\abv_dg\lservagent.cpp " - In my case, the event was reported 1-2 times per minute and the address lists were not updated. Restarting the server fixed the problem.

        Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services