exchange 2003 or 2007 with max. 200 users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exchange 2003 or 2007 with max. 200 users

Well, I don't know much about exchange server and versions. In our company, we are to deploy AD domain,with ISA, SQL etc... Now we have to choose between different versions of Exchange 2003 or 2007. We will have, I asume max 200 users. So I have these questions :

1. Which version would You recommend ?

2. Is there a way for users which are not part of AD domain to connect to Exchange and have their own mailbox? ( I hear You laghing )

3. There will be ISA (2006 probably) as edge server and VPN server (L2TP) which will be installed after Exchange. Any suggestions?

Re: exchange 2003 or 2007 with max. 200 users

For me:

1. I wouldn't choose an old version over a new one unless it had only just come out. 2007 with SP1 is great. Make sure your server can handle it though.

2. You can setup contacts in Exchange so email is forwarded out to external mailboxes but if you want internal ones then you would find setting up individual accounts for each mailbox the best way to go. Is there more to this requirement that you haven't said?

3. ISA2006 is fine for publishing if you want to use it. Make sure you update it before you start though.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thank You very much for Your reply.

About 2. I thought that users which are not joined to AD can access their e-mail accounts like Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail or via POP3?

I think that hardware will be ok. Multprocessor and multi hdd and probably RAID for Exchange...

Comment

x64 OS for 2007 as well.

What do you mean by joined to AD? Users can access webmail, imap, pop3, rpc/https etc (when setup) but they need a mailbox and an AD account to do that.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

I wanted to say that users without AD account can access Exchange server ... Is it possible?

Comment

They would need a username and password to access a mailbox. That username and password would be an account in AD. You could setup a generic account and give it access to a mailbox but that generic account would still exist.
            What are you trying to achieve?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

If we have some remote users which are not part of domain. We wouldn't want them to be in domain but still we wanted them to have mailboxes. Thats what I thought, but that obviously wasn't correct

Comment

Anyway, I will try to get Exchange 2007 Standard.

But here is another 2 questions :

1. Is it enough for 200 users?

2. How much more thas it costs in comparison to Exchange Server 2003 standard?

Comment

Yep 200 users quite easily obviously depending on usage though. I would implement quotas from the start too.

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/20...16/432222.aspx

Depends on your dealer
                  http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/howtobuy/default.mspx
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

Thank You very much. I am reading it now

Comment

Working...