Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoring a few mailboxes, or merging them?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring a few mailboxes, or merging them?

As a follow up to:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=27193

And thanks to all who helped in that thread!!

I was not able to remount my edb file, even after repairing it.. So I mounted a new store, and started from scratch.

Most users were able to get their email moved into an archive folder, then synch with exchange, then reupload.. So all is golden there.

However, a few including myself weren't.

Since I still have the DB file, is it possible to pull out the missing mailboxes and merge them with the new (almost) empty ones?

Thanks
    David

Re: Restoring a few mailboxes, or merging them?

You might be able to using Kernel Recovery for Exchange Serveror Ontrack Power Controls, but these will cost you. It's too bad everything didn't work out with the original databases but hopefully everything is getting back to normal.

Comment

If I could get that db to mount, as a second store. Could that then be used to merge mail boxes?

Thanks
      David

Comment

I went out and bought Kernel for Exchange.. And I've got access to the mailboxes!! However, there's several days worth of email missing... The edb file was from the night of the crash. What would cause that email to not be there??

Thanks
        David

Comment

Is the missing email from before, during, or after the crash?

Comment

Hey Joe,

From before the crash.. I THINK I've read that informatino is stored in a transaction log, then when backed up, written to the edb. Might that be it? Or is everything written to the edb file immediately?

I'm having a hard time finding any information on how that edb file functions..

Thanks
            David

Comment

Information is written to the logs first and then committed to the edb files. It could be that the database was corrupt before the crash. These emails are probably gone for good.

You could always try to tun eseutil on this database again and then run Kernel for Exchange again and see if it brings any more of them back.

Comment

Joe,

First off let me say you've been very helpful, and that's appreciated.. Many rep points to you!!

At what point are the logs committed to the edb files? I'm kinda curious..

Thanks
                Davi

Comment

Working...
                X