Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server 2003 hard disk upgrade

Hi,

I have a ms exchange server 2003 with two hard disks on which system partition is mirrored using windows 2003 disk miroring. Now i want to change the hard drive to around 300GB with out reinstalling exchange server.

what i am thinking is first "break mirror" (it will result two hard disk with idential data, one of them can be pulled out) then use norton ghost to get image of the system partition (c drive) and later transfer this image to new 300 GB HDD.
    what experts says is it feasible i want to do this in my off working day.

any suggestions or any other best way to achive this goal.

Re: Exchange Server 2003 hard disk upgrade

hi,

is more chaneel & bay available, if yes then install new HDD in empty bay and move database and log files on new partitional...

rgds

Comment

Originally posted by muneer_bom3 View Post
      hi,

is more chaneel & bay available, if yes then install new HDD in empty bay and move database and log files on new partitional...

rgds
      you are right but i also wannt to replace that hdd as it is very old i no warranty plus i wish to break current mirror and create new mirror with one more 300 GB hdd in few days.

Comment

Also make sure you have a WORKING backup before you attempt this.

Ooops, you may have a problem. If I read correctly, you have a software RAID. Ghost 8 has a problem imaging Dynamic Disk. The newer versions may have overcome this but make sure before you attempt it. Acronis is another good imaging product but again I don't know how it reacts to Dynamic disks.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Also make sure you have a WORKING backup before you attempt this.

Ooops, you may have a problem. If I read correctly, you have a software RAID. Ghost 8 has a problem imaging Dynamic Disk. The newer versions may have overcome this but make sure before you attempt it. Acronis is another good imaging product but again I don't know how it reacts to Dynamic disks.
          yes, i was also thinking in this way thats why i want to "break that mirror" so that software RAID / mirroring disappears gracefully and leave me to work with basic disk.

Regarding acronis i will give it try today i have installed acronis on my personal system to ensure its working that i use it on my exchange server to migrate whole 80 gb hdd data to 300 gb hdd.

any points in this regards specially breaking mirror is feasible or it will result "no booting from even a single hard disk"

this is production server i dont wish to re-install and create mailbox for users.

thanks for your time..

Comment

breaking the mirror will not change the disk type back to 'basic'
            ________
            Cr450
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:24.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

DYasny, you are right, i just want to confirm that breaking mirror will not leave my system non-bootable or some thing like that i think there is no issue if it remain dynamic disk what you say, I have read Acronis manual it is capable to work with dynamic disks ( need to try on test machine)

i just need to confirm after transfer there will be single 300gb hdd in the system then what will happen with dynamic volume as acronis will copy data bit by bit to new hdd with new partition size (which is the requirment in this case)

thanks in advance

Comment

if you want to copy data bit by bit, regardless of what is on the hard drive, try using g4u
                ________
                Intrepid
                Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:28.
                Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

hi friends,

i tried acronic with dynamic volume clone disk and backup/restore but no joy. Actually data is restored/copied successfully but hdd/partition is not (system) bootable

i need to find out any other way... of coping hdd images that also bootable or wait for new machine that will be exchange server and then migrate whole exchange server may be on new exchange 2007.

In the mean time i will try way for hard disk upgrade only option, any comments and suggestion are welcome from your side.

thanks in advance...

Comment

How likely is the new machine?
                    When you install Exchange 2007 it will be onto clean hardware anyway so the migration will be easier.
                    Failing that you could always put Exchange 2003 onto a new box and move mailboxes
                    cheers
                    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
                    X