Server Crash, in a bad way.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Crash, in a bad way.

We had a server crash, it's our exchange 2003 server. We use Yosemite backup, and the backup is almost useless in this case.

So I've installed Server 2k3 from scratch, and I'm trying to get Exchange 2003 installed back on. There is Exchange DB information stored in the backup, but I'm not sure if it's going to be retrievable. Right now, I just need to get and Exchange server up and running so people can receeive email.

I went through this: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/...ry-Switch.html

Thinking that would be the way to go, but it didn't install all of the Exchange Services on the machine.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Should I go all the way back and run ForestPrep etc again? This server is not on my DC.. Did I mention I really need to get this up and running by morning?

Thanks
    David

Re: Server Crash, in a bad way.

What didn't work? I've used the same procedure several times without a hitch. Can you provide more detail on what didn't seem to work? Did you install the required IIS components on the new server?

Comment

Sorry.. I've been at this server for 36 hrs straight.. No sleep...

The only service that was installed was: Microsoft Exchange Management.. So I can't mount the store.. So I know something is screwy from there..

I'm installing this as a domain administrator, that's correct, right?

Thanks
      David

Comment

I'm available via ICQ #19906849 and AIM Wobessobells and yahoo d_wessell if anyone feels like assisting closer.. I would pay (Can I offer that in here? If not, please delete this).. Then repost the solution..

Thanks
        David

Comment

Yes, domain admin should work. Did you install the ASP.NET, NNTP, SMTP and the World Wide Web Service on the new server before adding the new server to the domain and before installing Exchange?
          Last edited by joeqwerty; 29th August 2008, 03:48.

Comment

I did install ASP.NET, NNTP, SMTP, and WWWS before. I just went and double checked they are all started..

Thanks
            David

Comment

Ok, try this article step by step exactly. This one is a little easier to follow and it's worked for me on several occasions.

Also, do you have backups of the Exchange databases or can you get the databases off of the old server?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.65).aspx

Comment

Nothing is available off of the old server. There is a backup in the Yosemite tape drive, but I'm not sure it can be recovered. I have the .edb and .stm files.. Is that enough to restore a database with?

Thanks!!!!!
                David

Comment

Yes the edb files are all that is neccessary. Have you joined the new server to the domain with the old server name yet?

Comment

Yes! I have joined using the old server name to the domain..

DO I just need to put the edb file in the mdb dir, and then mount the store?

Thanks
                    David

Comment

Yes, but you need to get Exchange installed first. Start the Exchange install again with the /disasterrecovery switch and see if the Exchange components are showing as selected for install with the Disaster Recovery option.

Comment

Closer!!

Got it installed.. The MS Information Store Services errors out with 1068...

Comment

More information.. There was an option in the installation that I didn't check, which is why Exchange didn't install at first.

I put the two files in the mdbdata directory that is specified in the store.. Then rebooted.

Comment

Ok, I believe that's a service error. Look in the services mmc for the Exchange services and see which ones did not start and try to start them.

Also, does the new server have the same drive configuration (drive letters) as the old server?

Make sure you follow every step in the article in the exact order listed.

Comment

The server does have the same drive letter configuration as the old one. It's the System Attendent that is erroring out in the event viewer: Unexoected error Access denied. Facility LDAP Provider ID no: 8007005 is what is shows in the event viewer..

dw

Comment

Working...
                              X