Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Move Exchange to another SAN Store / Disk

Hello

we have an Exchange 2003 Enterprise connected to an SAN. The Guy wo installed all this did a bit of a strange setup und had only one real big LUN (2TB) which is way too big for our databases and is not the setup recommended by our SAN vendor. also he used raid 5 and not raid 10. he also installed the whole programmfolder of the exchange to the LUN and not only the databases. As i canīt shrink the LUn to an appropriate size i want to move it to another LUN.
    So is it possible to just stop all exchange services copy the the programm folder to the other LUN, change the drive letters and start the services again?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by chewbakka; 22nd August 2008, 12:46.

Re: Move Exchange to another SAN Store / Disk

As long as the data is copied identically (inc permissions etc) and the drive letter is the same then the theory would say yes. I would be certainly be nervous doing this in a live environment although I suspect it should be fine.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for your reply, the problem is that we have extrem high I/O on our current LUN because of very big mailboxes (up to 6GB) and very large public folders (in total 420GB). This is all in one information store and on one LUN.
      The Exchange whitepaper of our vendor (EMCē) suggest having (in our case) at least 3 mailboxstores and one public folder store and the logs each on a differnt LUN .

What would you propose for copying over the data?

Comment

Blimey!...

Ok. You have enterprise edition so why not start by creating more LUNs and new storage groups with mailbox databases and moving mailboxes that way? It is much safer. That way you can eventually end up with several storage groups with 1 mailbox database in each and a separate lun for the logs?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

my problem is, we donīt have enough SAN space to leave the 2TB unused (accounting would kill me if they would ever know ). I have enough space to move the mailbox store and the public folder store to another LUN each, but then i would have only the exchange programm folder on a 2TB LUN.
          perhaps the 420GB public folders made a wrong impression, we are not that big, around 120 mailboxes / 80 users but our mail volume and mail size is quite high (CAD data).

Comment

Pending some expert advice from Sembee if he is around.

Personally I think I would create a new Exchange server, move everything to it using the spare space on the SAN, un-install the old, re-install, repartition the 2TB lun into manageable LUNS as per the mailbox dbs etc and then create the desired SGs, MBs and Logs in these LUNS, finally moving the mailboxes back onto them.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

I wasn't going to say anything as my knowledge of SANs amounts to this white space -->
              I have never used a SAN, never even seen one. However as I have been mentioned, it would be rude not to say something.

Personally to move the application there is only one way I would do it, and that is to reinstall Exchange on another machine. However the complications of moving things around due to the SAN and the size of the databases are well beyond my knowledge.

This is probably best dealt with by a combination of your SAN provider and Microsoft support. If you call Microsoft support get it escalated immediately from first line so you aren't dealing with their script people. Their fee will be well worth it.

When it comes to SANs you have got to know what you are doing. Obviously the person who set this it up originally did not, and if you aren't 100% sure yourself then pay the consultancy fees to get some people who are. The investment will be worth while.

Simon.
              --
              Simon Butler
              Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
              More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
              Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
              In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

ok, thanks for your input, the guys from the company who sold the san arenīt of much help, at least i got the white paper from them. I think the SAN part of the issue is not that important, just think of them as normal raids.

I think at first iīm going to move the databases to different LUNs and then iīm going to either check microsoft support or build an a testserver and try moving the executables around (as paying extra for consultants will be an awfull lot of questions from the bosses...).
                Last edited by chewbakka; 21st August 2008, 14:25.

Comment

Apologies Sembee, I was only wanting your opinion regarding the copying of the Exchange binaries after installation.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

If it was EMC who supplied the SAN then get it escalated. They have at least two Exchange MVPs on staff (and considering there is less than 120 worldwide IIRC - that is quite a few), so should be able to get the question answered.

As for moving binaries, you wouldn't catch me doing that. Windows does funny things when you move things around. The only way I might do it is if it was via a boot disk, so that things couldn't be changed in the background. It just has mess written all over it though.

Simon.
                    --
                    Simon Butler
                    Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                    More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                    Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                    In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

hello,

a short update, contacted emc support and am waiting for an exchange pro to contact me, installed a test exchange in vmware:
                      - stopped (and set them to manual) all exchange services
                      - robocopied the programm folder to another partition
                      - changed the drive letter from the original partition and rebootet
                      - changed the driver letter from the partition where i copied the folder to and rebooted
                      - set all services to auto again and started them

and it seems all went well outlook can connect, no errors in the logs

Comment

Working...
                      X