No announcement yet.

Exchange Server removal

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange Server removal

Hi Everyone,

I have a situation within my network. Please help me with resolving the same

My earlier network setup:-
    Two domain controller (machine A and B) both running Windows 2000 Advanced Server with SP4 another machine running Exchange Server 2003(Machine C)

Now I am in between the process of upgrading the network to the latest versions.

What I did till now:
    1. Moved all the FSMO roles to Machine A
    2. Demoted Machine B to member Server
    3. Upgraded Machine A to Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
    5. Installed Windows Server 2008 into new machine D
    7. Installed Windows Server 2008 into new machine E and install Exchange server 2007 in the domain now it works fine with older exchange server and now only send connector and receive connector are setup in the new exchange server 2007

Problem am facing
    Now am trying to remove old exchange server 2003 from machine C . for that purpose I did all the steps specified in

Now when am trying to set the action "remove" in exchange server setup interface am getting error like below

Microsoft Exchange Installation Wizard
    The component "Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "Remove" because:

- This version of Microsoft Exchange Server Setup upgrades Exchange Server 2003 Standard Edition to Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise Edition; you must do this before performing any other setup action. To upgrade to Enterprise Edition, select the "Reinstall" action.

I searched for help every where , not seen any posting like that..

All are having the similar error and what they do to resolve is removing the mailbox from old exchange server. but in my case all those things are done so I need help from any of you experts.

Re: Exchange Server removal

Sounds like you are using an Enterprise CD to remove Standard edition.
    Do you have a Standard edition CD to hand? If so, run setup from there.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.