No announcement yet.

large mailbox

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• large mailbox

i use exchange 2k3 ENT SP2 on windows server 2k3 SP2.
    i've a few users with a mailbox more then 15GB.
    all the mail in the mailbox are in the INBOX folder(and not under any subfolder).
    when the user access the INBOX the computer stop responding for a few second sometimes for a few minutes and then it is released.
    1. what are microsoft recomended for how much mail will be in the inbox folder or subfolders?
    2. what i can do to speed up the connection with how i work today?

Re: large mailbox

Not sure myself regarding your issue but I would certainly quota your mailboxes. My quota is set to a max of 500MB for all users. No exceptions.

I am assuming it is slow through Outlook. Is it the same in webmail?

Is caching set for Outlook? That can sometimes slow things down.

I would certainly recommend using the filter for large attachments and permanently deleteing the large emails by holding down the Shift button when you press Delete.

If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft recommends that there not be more than 3,000 - 5,000 items per folder.

All I can say to what you have written is "Not surprised".
        15gb is a lot of messages for Outlook to process. If they are all in the same folder then that will cause a performance hit. As already pointed out, you should be aiming for 3000 - 5000 items in any single folder.

This sounds like lazy users. I would be looking for some archiving software to remove the items from their mailboxes and store it elsewhere.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.