Exchange 2k3 Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2k3 Size

I have heard that when my exchange fills up (16gb's) that it stops working. I have a poweredge server with 4 drives. 1 has the install and o/s. the others are just their. how do I take advantage of those other three drives with exchagne?

Thanks,
    RC

Re: Exchange 2k3 Size

For the Exchange question, read the following link and pst back with your questions. http://www.petri.com/change_store_si...ex2003_sp2.htm

With regard to your "other 3 drives", how has the server been setup? Are all the drives independent partitions or has RAID (software or hardware) been configured?

If you have no RAID configured then depending on what your server is used for (apart from Exchange), testing or production environment, then it might be a idea to backup all the data and configure at least RAID1. If this server doesn't have a hardware RAID controller then you could still configure a software RAID.

Don't know how Exchange will respond to the HDDs being changed from Basic to Dynamic for the software RAID, assuming that they are still Basic drives. I am sure someone else shall know the answer to that.

Need more info about your server and the hardware it contains. CPU, HDD sizes, RAM, RAID controller etc.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I will check out the link in just a second.

The other three drives are just sitting as 3 seperate drives. I could make them ONE using disk management but currently they have been formated to NTFS and are blank. Letters D E and F.

I am pretty sure that ALL the drives are already DYNAMIC as I usually do this shortly after windows install on all my units.

This server does nothing but exchange only.

When you say backup all data, do you mean over to the raid configured drive?

Thanks
      RC

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      For the Exchange question, read the following link and pst back with your questions. http://www.petri.com/change_store_si...ex2003_sp2.htm

With regard to your "other 3 drives", how has the server been setup? Are all the drives independent partitions or has RAID (software or hardware) been configured?

If you have no RAID configured then depending on what your server is used for (apart from Exchange), testing or production environment, then it might be a idea to backup all the data and configure at least RAID1. If this server doesn't have a hardware RAID controller then you could still configure a software RAID.

Don't know how Exchange will respond to the HDDs being changed from Basic to Dynamic for the software RAID, assuming that they are still Basic drives. I am sure someone else shall know the answer to that.

Need more info about your server and the hardware it contains. CPU, HDD sizes, RAM, RAID controller etc.

Comment

If you have 4 drives and the 3 others are D, E and F then you don't have a RAID set up and your data is at risk surely?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Well....if I wasn't worried about it, I wouldn't be inquiring.....

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          If you have 4 drives and the 3 others are D, E and F then you don't have a RAID set up and your data is at risk surely?

Comment

Look to see if you have a raid controller in hardware manager
            From server administrator app you can do lots of things with the raid setup.

you should have raid 1 minimum for OS, Trans logs, Database

OS and trans logs on one drive will work if you dont have many users.

How many users do you have?

Comment

And if you are not using software RAID, convert the disks back to Basic. Don't convert them to Dynamic for no reason. Have a read of the following link for possible reasons why you might need to convert Basic to Dynamic. http://www.petri.com/difference_betw..._2000_2003.htm
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by knottyrope View Post
                Look to see if you have a raid controller in hardware manager
                From server administrator app you can do lots of things with the raid setup.

you should have raid 1 minimum for OS, Trans logs, Database

OS and trans logs on one drive will work if you dont have many users.

How many users do you have?
                By the time that everything is completely done, max users would be 75 at the most I would say.

What should I do with my extra drives now? Move stuff to them or what.....

Thanks,
                RC

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                  And if you are not using software RAID, convert the disks back to Basic. Don't convert them to Dynamic for no reason. Have a read of the following link for possible reasons why you might need to convert Basic to Dynamic. http://www.petri.com/difference_betw..._2000_2003.htm
                  I think that all of the drives are set as dynamic...I can change the blank ones back...what about the main drive ")" that has the OS on it...........

I am F***'ed aren't aint I..........

Comment

Well I am pretty sure that I am screwed. Since I only have 5 users added, would I be better off to just trash the whole server and re-install everything with all BASIC disks?

If so, should I create a mirror of my drives 0 and 1 and 2 and 3? If one of them crashed, can I just remove it and the other picks up just like nothing happened?

How do I specify where I want my exchange data stored at so that it is not on the same disks that have the O/S on it?

I am beginning to get disappointed with all of the work that I ahve done....

I thank you all for any DETAILS as I am still learning how this e-mail stuff works.

Thanks,
                    RC

Comment

I beleive that I have the mirroring turned on for the O/S drive now that I look at it. Thought that might be worth noting.

Comment

IF the OS drive is mirrored you are ok.

Mirror the other two remaining drives.

Then in Exchange system manager you can dismount the store and move it to the new raid and remount it.

Then use only that drive for the exchange store only and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by knottyrope View Post
                          IF the OS drive is mirrored you are ok.

Mirror the other two remaining drives.

Then in Exchange system manager you can dismount the store and move it to the new raid and remount it.

Then use only that drive for the exchange store only and nothing else.
                          Additional Info:
                          Since taking over this project, I have new info. The computer is a Dell Poweredge 4400 with 8 hard drives. Each one shows up with a different letter in My Computer.

I mirrored the drive for Windows.
                          Physical Disk 0 & 1 are mirrored and they are the C:\ drive.

This leaves me with 6 disks.
                          Can I combine physical disks 2,3,&4 and make a 54gb disk D:\ (each is 18gb's)
                          and
                          Combine 5,6,&7 and make another 54gb disk E:\ (each is 18gb's)
                          and then
                          mirror D:\ to E:\ would that give me 54gb's of storage for my exchange data?

After this question, I will tackle how to mount and dismount my store stuff and move things around.

If this works, I know how to do the combining and mirroring...I have done this with Computer Management->Disk Mirroring.

Thank so much everyone!! RC
                          Last edited by medic 66; 30th August 2008, 19:37.

Comment

The suspense is killing me guys...just checking to see if anyone had answered.

Comment

Sorry, but i can't see what the question is.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X