Migration Path from Win2k3/Ex2003 to Win2k8/Ex2007

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration Path from Win2k3/Ex2003 to Win2k8/Ex2007

I manage (if you want to call it that) a Win2k3 machine running Exchange 2003 for a very small organization. We are looking to upgrade this server to Win2k8 and start running Exchange 2007.

Uptime is important, but not paramount, so I am planning to take a weekend and back up the existing server, wipe it clean and do a fresh install of 2k8 and configure from there.

Now to my question:
    What is the cleanest way to backup/export the mailboxes in Exchange 2003 to be able to restore/import them in a fresh install of Exchange 2007?

I'd prefer to not use any third party tools, but if one would greatly simply the process I would be receptive.

Thanks!

Re: Migration Path from Win2k3/Ex2003 to Win2k8/Ex2007

If you want to do it that way then just use exmerge to export the PST files then import-mailbox cmdlet in Exchange 2007 but you will need to make sure the user accounts you create have valid "identity" you can use to tie up the mailbox with the user. Have a look here (LINK) for the identity bit.

I assume your existing server is x64 and has plenty of RAM?
    2003 is generally great so is there a good business case for 2007?

EDIT: Forgot to add, watch for the 2GB limit on ExMerge
    Last edited by AndyJG247; 8th August 2008, 14:09.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Andy, thanks for your response.

One question regarding that solution. The link you provided notes that the PST import CmdLet must be performed from a 32-bit machine.

Can this be done from another desktop on the domain running the exchange management tools and outlook?

Thanks again!

Comment

Yep.

To import data from a .pst file, you must run the Import-Mailbox cmdlet from a 32-bit computer that has the following installed:

* 32-bit version of the Exchange management tools
        * Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later versions
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X