Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving multiple mailboxes used all my transaction log space - workaround?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving multiple mailboxes used all my transaction log space - workaround?

Hi,

Applies to Exchange 2003

I was moving a few hundred mailboxes last night from one store to another on the same server, came in this morning and all the stores in that storage group had dismounted. Discovered that it was due to the transaction log drive running out of space - this was also the reason why many mailboxes didn't move.

I quickly moved some logs to a different drive, creating space and then remounted the stores.

Is there anyway to get around this as I have 100s of mailboxes to move again tonight.

Thanks

Re: Moving multiple mailboxes used all my transaction log space - workaround?

One option assuming you can't provide more disk space.

http://www.msexchange.org/articles/E...disk-full.html

Not something to be done lightly of course.

# Turn on Circular Logging for the storage group- Before you scream and shout I do understand that I am walking on thin ice here - but drastic situations call for drastic measures. By turning on the Circular Logging option for the storage group while the stores are still mounted the log files will be pruned and only five log files will remain. Turning on circular logging can be done by accessing the properties of the storage group and by checking the option called "Enable circular logging". Read and acknowledge the warning that appears and you are done - watch the log files disappear.

1. Advantages- The only advantage here is time. This is the fastest solution for the problem.
    2. Disadvantages- Circular Logging will take away your ability to restore the system to the point in time at which the server crashed.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Its best practice to have the transactions logs on a seperate disc to the store for redundancy aswell as I/O. I would purchase an external HD and point the logs to that temporarily allowing at least for the logs to replayed to the last point in time in the event of a disaster. This would at least prevent the stores from dismounting due to no disc space. Other than that as already mentioned you will need to enable circular logging which in my opinion is a redundant technology and a pain in the a55.

Comment

Turning on circular logging for the duration of the move only and then turning it off when the move is done is a perfectly acceptable solution as far as I'm concerned. Make sure you have a Full backup of the Information Store before the move and perform a Full backup of the Information Store immediately after the move.

Comment

Working...
        X