No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003 server disaster

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 server disaster

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and i was wondering if some of you gurus can help me out.

I'm an IT Tech in a small college. Recently our Exchange server 2003 decided to die. When we tried to restore from backup, but it didn't work. The windows server's installation refused to boot. We tried everything in the books.

Now my questions are as follows;

1. How do you restore and recover mailboxes and e-mails from edb files?

2. Is it possible to mount this database on our new exchange server installation?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Re: Exchange 2003 server disaster

This is what the recovery storage database is for in exchange 2003. As long as the backup of your previous store is fine (which you can check its integrity with with the Esutil command) you should be able to forklift the database and mount it on the new server. Time for you to do some reading on exchange DR aswell as having a proper ideally imaged based backup of your server. The recovery storage database is an excellent addition to previous versions of exchange but its not somthing that can be detailed in its entirety on this forum.

If you still have the databases you can restore them. Might need a repair and defrag but it should work.

Maybe take a read of this.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Thanks a lot guys for your help. Very useful information!