Connecting Exchange to the Internet to receive internet mail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting Exchange to the Internet to receive internet mail

Guys, I have finished setting up Exchange and now I want to connect it to the Internet.

My environment is as follows:

We have Windows2003 setup with our own internal DNS. Do I still need to create an internal MX record apart from the one the ISP would create? Which is the right one to connect Exchange to the internet. All we want to do is for all our mails to come directly to our Exchange box.

We have a registered domain name and also have a router and firewall in place. We have NAT enable on the router.

To connect Exchange to the Internet what do I give my ISP and also what would my ISP give me in return to make Exchange connect to the internet. Who is going to setup the MX record, is it me or the ISP. And how does the MX record looks like. Can I also create our own MX record different from the one an ISP would create? Basically I need to know what I should give the ISP and what they should do for my Exchange box to be connected to the internet. Thanks.

Here is one of the many Exchange articles Daniel has compiled on Petri.co.il . http://www.petri.com/configure_mx_re...il_traffic.htm There are some more at the bottom of the page. or you could search this site using Google on the right side of this following page. http://www.petri.com/
    Last edited by danielp; 10th October 2005, 12:41.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Ok got it, What is the first thing for me to get started. Should I call up an ISP to setup an External DNS for us first? Mind you we have an internal DNS already setup. Do I still need an External DNS and for what for. What can I do to do all by myself without going through the ISP. I need leads please.

Comment

Is you internal email working correctly??

Contact your ISP and ask what is required. Presumably you havent any Internet access at the moment.. They will therefore advise here... and in respect to email, would normally need to know the external IP of your router which they need to register as your domains MX record, thats if your server sites behind it obviously.
        UK Newbie!

Comment

We do have internet access. But they already have a webmail already that is being hosted by a company in the US. To access their mail, they use a web browser. Now with Exchange we want everything to come to Exchange. Our network sits behind a firewall and router with NAT enable. What are the steps for me to complete to get the Exchange server to receive external emails.

Comment

Power, did you read my article? If so, you have all the settings required there, and if you want, you can also read this article for some more info:

http://www.petri.com/configure_excha...er_domains.htm
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Hi Dan,

I read your article and I fully understood how to connect our Exchange box to receive internet mails. But my other question in that article is you had something like this:

Record FQDN:mail.depri.net

Record Type:A

Record Value:192.90.1.1

Record FQDN:depri.net

Record Type:MX

Record Value:mail.depri.net

Should I create the A record with the ISP IP address on our Internal DNS Server? Or is it the ISP that would create the A record on their DNS Server. I know the MX record is the ISP responsibilities. Thank you for your help. By the way our network has NAT enabled and I am going to give the ISP the external interface of the NAT address.

Comment

The ISP is the one you need to talk to. They should host your A and MX records and have the A point to the external IP of your NAT. Don't forget to forward TCP prt 25 on the NAT to the IP of the mail server.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you very much. One last question I have is in Exchange System Manager.

When you open ESM, Expand Servers, Expand Server Name, Expand Protocols, Expand SMTP and right click Default SMTP Virtual Server and click properties. Click the Delivery tab, click Advanced and click configure. At this point you would see to Add External DNS. My question is which IP address would I put there. Is it my ISP that would supply that? Or I don't have to do anything. Thats my last question. Thanks once again.

Comment

Working...
                  X