No announcement yet.

Exchange 2003: Can't send e-mails in outlook POP3/SMTP but can send thru OWA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003: Can't send e-mails in outlook POP3/SMTP but can send thru OWA

Hi all,

I have a problem.

I have a single W2k3 Enterprise SP2, Exchange 2003 SP2 server that is also the domain controller and a DNS server. I have about 20 users on it. There are some sporadic e-mail issues going on but a specific one baffles me. All the computers use Outlook 2003 but not in Exchange mode. They use SMTP/POP3. If I send an e-mail from OWA to a comcast e-mail account it arrives at its destination no problem. If a user sends an e-mail from his outlook to that same Comcast e-mail box, it bounces immediately with this message

"The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved
    to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the
    address. Check the address and try again.
    <xxx.xxx.xxx #5.1.0 smtp;550 5.1.0 Invalid sender
    domain>

why would the sender domain be invalid? If it works thru OWA why not thru Outlook? Server misconfiguration? maybe I need a PTR record for my domain?

Help.

Re: Exchange 2003: Can't send e-mails in outlook POP3/SMTP but can send thru OWA

Why do they use POP3?
    There isn't any reason why you would want to leave it that way really. If OWA works it proves your Exchange setup is good so I would check the clients setup (sent from address etc). I assume their SMTP server is also your Exchange?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Exchange 2003: Can't send e-mails in outlook POP3/SMTP but can send thru OWA

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Why do they use POP3?
      There isn't any reason why you would want to leave it that way really. If OWA works it proves your Exchange setup is good so I would check the clients setup (sent from address etc). I assume their SMTP server is also your Exchange?

They need it to be SMTP/POP3 because the reply to address is different that the sent from. I Think this is where its failing. Is there another way of doing this thru exchange? Like if people send out e-mails but the reply needs to go to a specific address, like [email protected] would get the e-mail instead of the individual user who sent the original?
      Last edited by lwnemesis; 30th July 2008, 19:42.

Comment

Only by using "Send As" or having them all log into the same mailbox. Exchange was designed for every user to have a primary address and to send and receive from that.
        Sembee may have some ideas though.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X