Exchange 2003 install fails, no priv1.edb, event ID 9546

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange 2003 install fails, no priv1.edb, event ID 9546

So I might be a little less than lucid right now as I've been banging my head on this for almost 8 hours now, but here's the story:

I am trying to get a new exch 2k3 in place in a network that I have been hired on to support. There are quite a few aspects of the domain that are questionable that predate me, so all bets are off. But what is happening is when I try to install exchange on the new server it always fails to create the priv1.edb file and cannot mount the maibox store. Here are the errors from the event log.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: MSExchangeIS
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 9546
    Date: 7/16/2008
    Time: 3:20:36 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ALPHA
    Description:
    Failed to create the Event Registration Mailbox for Database First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (ALPHA). Error - 0xbf69.

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

Event Source: MSExchangeIS
    Event Category: General
    Event ID: 9519
    Time: 3:20:36 AM
    Description:
    Error 0x80004005 starting database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (ALPHA)" on the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.

Data:
    0000: 46 61 69 6c 65 64 20 74 Failed t
    0008: 6f 20 63 72 65 61 74 65 o create
    0010: 20 74 68 65 20 45 76 65 the Eve
    0018: 6e 74 20 52 65 67 69 73 nt Regis
    0020: 74 72 61 74 69 6f 6e 20 tration
    0028: 4d 61 69 6c 62 6f 78 2e Mailbox.
    0030: 00
    Event Source: MSExchangeSA
    Event Category: MAPI Session
    Event ID: 9175
    Time: 3:20:47 AM
    Description:
    The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:
    The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.
    The MAPI provider failed.
    Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store
    ID no: 8004011d-0512-00000000

I've looked at

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/271339
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/274534

and numerous other forums, including this one, to no avail. I'm installing to a member server, not a DC, It's a fresh install w/all updates, I've added IIS/NNTP/SMTP/ASP.net before install, ran /forestprep and /domainprep, etc etc etc. I've looked at the installer log for exchange and nothing there that I can see. The only thing left that I can think of is that there is something wrong with AD/DNS that is messing it up, because I know that the AD schema is pretty messy just from looking around at it (there was a botched Sharepoint install a while before me). So I guess my two questions are:

1-Does this sound familair to anyone? And if not,
    2-Is there a way to backup AD objects and import them to a new domain in the hopes that if this is related to a messy AD using a clean forest will fix the problem?

Like I said, I'm a bit delirious at this point.

Re: Exchange 2003 install fails, no priv1.edb, event ID 9546

Back at it today. Here's a possible path:

I tried, just for laughs to start replication of the public folders, as those databases are there. Then I tried to list the folders, I got a cert error, and traced the message back to IIS having SSL as required for the Exadmin site under Default Web Site. So I unckeck it and tried to mount the store. This didn't fix the problem, and in fact the event log kicked the exact same errors, but it kicked about 20 of them as opposed to 3, and the attempt to mount the store took significantly longer.

Any ideas?

*crickets*

Anyone?

Comment

Success! And it only took 15 hours! Thanks, Microsoft error handling!

So I'll put this here for the greater benefit. I might also submit it to MS as well, as I'm almost certain it's not covered in any KB or such.

If you're experiencing the problems above, open ESM and right click on the top level container for your Org. Select "delegate control" Click next.

In the list of users/groups, you should see users that are able to administer Exchange (probably *domain*\Administrator, or something like that. My list includes BESAdmin for Blackberry Ent Srv)

If you see any objects there that are only SIDs, delete them. You might want to check to make sure they don't exist in the registry on your PDC (my entry was s-1-5-21-2834508326-3005073493-692601752-1786, but all I had to search for was s-1-5-21-2834 to find that there was no entries for that SID).

Once it's deleted, try to re-mount the store on the new Exchange server. If it works, you're welcome!

My guess is that then the Exchange SA tries to create the priv1.edb it checks the delegation control. If it finds an object there that has no AD entry, it just quits. I honestly have no idea how that orphaned Sid entry got there, buy my guess is that is is related to the failed Sharepoint install from before my time. All I can say is that the error reporting on this WAS INCREDIBLY PISS-POOR. I actually really like Exchange, and this comes from trying to manage a few Postfix/LDAP/Samba configs, but on something like Delegation Control problems I'd expect MS to be a bit more on it for detailed error reporting. Anyhoo, time to migrate a 50gb priv1.edb, which means I get at least a day or two off.

Comment

Oh, also, the SSL in IIS is a red herring, I'm pretty sure. I turned it back on, unmounted and re-mounted, with no errors.

Comment

Working...
        X