Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The From field is blank in an e-mail message that is in the Sent Items folder in Outl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The From field is blank in an e-mail message that is in the Sent Items folder in Outl

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/872896

My client is using SBS. We have suddenly spawned a new and throughly confusing phenomena whereby users using the default client outlook send emails that are not submitted to the exchange server. Instead the email in some cases generates a local NDR or doesnt. Either way the emails are not delivered. This appears to be because there email address is not appended to the from field when sending the email!??!

MS according to the knowledge base above say there is no resolution to this problem. Can anyone confirm for me if SP2 or SP3 for Outlook 2003 can fix this rather strange quirk?

Re: The From field is blank in an e-mail message that is in the Sent Items folder in

Do you meet all of these though? (especially the POP3 or IMAP requirement)?

CAUSE
    This issue occurs if all the following are true:
    You are using Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
    You are using either a Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3) account or an Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) account.
    The e-mail message was sent to one or more people who are not in your domain.
    Outlook 2003 is configured to receive an NDR message for all recipients.

I would recommend the latest SP anyway but to be fair I don't have an answer to your question, maybe just test with them?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: The From field is blank in an e-mail message that is in the Sent Items folder in

They dont meet all of the requirements only some ie SP1, email being relayed out of the domain and possibly NDR`s turned on for Outlook? (although i wasnt even aware that you could even turn on NDR`s with Outlook 2003?!?!) Hence why im a bit flummoxed and mooting upgrading the clients to SP2 to see if this fixes the problem.

Comment

Is there any harm in testing one machine? I would put them to the latest version rather than half way though.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

My course of action would be to test this on one machine. The problem is the fault is sporadic. Either way a SP upgrade is normally accumulative. Upgrading to 2007 is not an option as the client has not purchased the software. Il get them onto the latest SP`s and see what happens!!:

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
            Either way a SP upgrade is normally accumulative.
            Of course, I just read you were mooting upgrading to SP2 not SP3 below.

I can't find anything specific in the SP2 or 3 release notes either.
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              Of course, I just read you were mooting upgrading to SP2 not SP3 below.

I can't find anything specific in the SP2 or 3 release notes either.
              Agreed. I read the notes too and saw no mention by MS of anything relating to the KB. Its throughly baffling as the problem has just suddenly arisen from nowhere. Updating to SP2 is a shot in the dark though (and possibly SP3) as the article says it relates to Outlook 2003 SP1 builds. Oh well

Comment

Working...
              X