Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating user in AD does not create Exchange mailbox

Hi,

I have an SBS2003 network and I have created a user in AD, replied yes to the option to create a mailbox but it doesn't get created and there are no addresses listed in the Email-Addresses tab. I can't see the mailbox with Exchange System Manager and when I check Exchange Advanced under the Mailbox Rights button the user has SELF with Read permissions and Full Mailbox Access.

Any idea what I have stuffed up?

thanks

Davej

Delete the user and try again maybe?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

first thing I tried

Comment

Update both RUS entries in the ESM and check the user properties. If it doesn't work, see the event viewer and tell us what errors do you see there related to this issue (I've seen problems with some fax software and so on).
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ok, I have done the RUS rebuild and updates. There is and Event ID 8331 in the application log and some 40961 and 40960's in the system log. The last two seem to have started Friday evening. I wonder what happened then?

Davej

Comment

hmm - server restart and it seems to work....

Comment

No more events? RUS seems to work now?

(damn, I hate it when the unknown factor steps in...)
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

seems to work now - I know what you mean about the unknown factor - very frustrating! Thanks for your help

Comment

The mysteries of Windows Servers, don't you just love em!!
                  Server 2000 MCP
                  Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

The ugly head is rearing again!

Just created a new user in AD and no email addresses setup - no RUS errors. The only rights are to SELF - I'm starting to pull my hair out here (and I need all that I have!).

When a new user is created and exchange is installed is there a policy or template used automatically that sets the addresses and rights?

UPDATE:

I have two servers in this domain, one is SBS2003, the other is W2K3. I created the user on the SBS box and told it not to create a mailbox. I then selected exchange tasks and created the mailbox. If I use AD Users and Computers to view the properties of the user on the SBS box I can see the exchange tabs. If I do the same on the W2K3 box then I see the user but not the exchange tabs. Replication is working.

FURTHER UPDATE:

None of the users listed in AD on the W2K3 box have exchange tabs - is this normal?

SOLUTION: for me anyway
                    Using the adsiedit.msc snapin I checked the security on the Exchange System Objects CN - the SYSTEM account was missing. So I added it, gave it full access, did a rebuild and an Update Now on RUS and voila - accounts exist.

So my next question I suppose is how did the SYSTEM account fall off the Exchange System Objects CN?

Comment

First, the Win2003 server - does it has the Exchange admin tools installed? If not, the DSA.MSC won't have the extra Exchange tabs. This is normal.

Second, when you say Exchange object, do you mean this one?

If you do, I DON'T think there SHOULD be a SYSTEM object there.
                      Attached Files
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Yes I realised that the W2K3 server wouldn't have the exchange tabs as soon as I posted the update

The CN in adsiedit is Microsoft Exchange System Objects.

Comment

You mean this one? (there is no "Microsoft Exchange System Objects" in the configuration partition). Again, there shouldn't be any SYSTEM account in there.
                          Attached Files
                          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I wonder why adding it makes it work then?

More investigation required.

Comment

Stupid question but is exchange domain servers in there?
                              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                              X