Exch Svr 2K3 causing network latency?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exch Svr 2K3 causing network latency?

I have an issue that is killing me - I've been up and down the Internet (slowly) and can't find anything related to my problem, so I turn to you smart folks.

We have an Exchange 2003 server that seems to be causing network latency. I'm seeing the latency over a VPN (Cisco ASA5510 to Cisco 800 serier router) and out to the Internet. Pings respond from the Internet and from across the VPN anywhere from 200ms to 2000ms, a lot higher than the normal 83ms I'm used to seeing. The Exch Svr responds fine to internal pings.

I know it's the Exch Svr because I ran a "ping -t" across the VPN from another server, witnessing the ridiculous latency, then unplugged the Exch Svr from the network. Latency returns to normal. Plug Exchange back in, ping remains normal for 10-30 seconds, then jumps through the roof again. I am at a loss.

I've checked Exchange out as best I could: no messages queued, no unusual SMTP connections, etc. but can't find anything. The only other thing our Exchange server runs is our BlackBerry Enterprise Server and Symantec Backup Exec. I suppose one of these could also be the culprit.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Re: Exch Svr 2K3 causing network latency?

Use wireshark to inspect what is happening if you can.
    Can you look at the ports on the switch to see if there are collisions etc?
    If you unplug the exchange you could also say it also be a client connecting to it causing issues. Have you tried just stopping BES as well to see if that makes a difference?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I will try some of your suggestions. Thanks for the quick response. Regarding your third suggestion, I've tried stopping the BlackBerry Router service, the one that does most of the "talking" and that didn't change anything, but it might be worth a try to stop the full set of BlackBerry services (there are like 7 total). I'll post back when I have a chance to look into a few of these items.

Thanks again for your quick response.

Comment

No probs, let us know the results if you can.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
        X