Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Splitting' stores & the affect on Single-Instance

Hi,

Following on from my previous thread, I'm trying to calculate how large my stores are going to be following dividing them into two new stores and I'm looking into single-instance.

According to Microsoft KB 175481 when moving the original recipient and all the additional 20 recipients who reside in the same mailbox store (using the exchange server 2003 sp1 move mailbox wizard) then only one copy of the original message is held it the store and the store size will not increase.

However, I need to know what happens if the recipients of same message are moved to different stores - does single-instance still maintain just the single message or is that lost and the new stores will subsequently grow?

Thanks, Ben

Re: 'Splitting' stores & the affect on Single-Instance

Hi,

As its on the same box and you ae not moving mailbox on the 2 server, the yes it will maintain the single instance.

Rgds

Comment

Thanks, so if I moved the mailboxs to a different server they would lose the single-instance function?

Comment

Hi,

no it will not it depend on scenario as mention in article.

During a move of users, Exchange Server checks every incoming message against its own internally assigned IDs. These internal IDs are not viewable with a client. If Exchange Server determines that the incoming message is a duplicate, it just sets up a pointer for that existing message that points to the newly moved user.
        Assume that User B is moved to server 2. Exchange Server will create a single instance of the message for User B based on the copy of the message that User D has. This is true if user D has not deleted the message. If User D has already deleted the message, Exchange Server will create a single instance of the message based on the copy of the message that is in User D's Deleted Items folder. If User D also deleted the message copy in the Deleted Items folder, Exchange Server creates a new message and sends it to server 2.

The same process occurs if User B and User C are moved to server 2. Exchange Server will maintain a single instance of the message for User B and User C. This is based on the message that is in the Inbox of User D. If User D has already deleted the message, Exchange Server will maintain a single instance of the message based on the message that is in User D's Deleted Items folder. If User D has already emptied the Deleted Items folder, Exchange Server creates a new message and sends it to server 2.

Rgds

Comment

ok, i think I've got it.

In my case, I'm going to create two new stores on the server which currently holds the large store.
          Move half the mailboxes into one store and then half into another. Then delete the original store.

So in my case single-instance should carry on working and the store sizes won't increase?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X