Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backup Exchange NTBackup

Hi all

I have used the excellent article on the main site to get my exchange backing up on a non-exchange server (thanks Daniel, worked a treat!).

Now my backups are HUGE. My public folders are around 12GB. I want to back these up once a week say. How is this best done?

As far as I can see NT Backup can only backup a Storage Group not a store. As i have a mailbox store and my public folder store in the same storage group should i move my mailboxes out into another storage group to aloow backup of each one indepenandtly? How will this affect disaster recovery?

Many thanks
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Thanks for the input. Make a note that you should try to always backup an entire IS, rather than separate stores, and if not possible, then storage groups and not stores.

This is in order for the IS to flush the log files at the end of the backup process, coz if there is even one store that hasn't been backed up in the storage group, then the logs for that sg will not be flushed.

If the backups are too big for you to manage, try using incremental of differential backup schedules.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
      If the backups are too big for you to manage, try using incremental of differential backup schedules.
      Thanks for the info about flushing logs. You have just said the two most hated words in our department - incremental and differential! Full backups are always something we try to do as we have had probs with these before.

Is there any other way we could get around this problem without those illfaited words!!??

Thanks
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Well, you could use 3rd party tools that might have a better method for backing up, however as far as I know, the basic backup methods are (still) Normal (full), Incremental and Differential.

Normal is the best choice if you have a large backup tape and if time is not a problem. Also, normal will let you restore in the fastest time. Normal flushes logs if done at IS or Storage Group level.

Normal + Inc. is better for large DBs, however the restore operation is more complicated and lengthy, and if one backup set fails or the tape is bad, you're stuck with the last backup you have. Inc. flushes logs if done at IS or Storage Group level.

Normal + Diff. is better at restoring than normal + inc, however it takes more time than normal + inc, and it does NOT flush the logfiles. Do not use this method if you have too many logs per day and you're afraid the free disk space won't last for a whole week.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
          Normal flushes logs if done at IS or Storage Group level.
          So if i put my public folder store in a storage group of its own and have my mailboxes in another storage group will that flush the logs if they are backed up seperately? Sorry if you have already said that but i want to ensure integrity in my backups and system ops.

Cheers
          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
          X