OWA on a different web server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OWA on a different web server?

I want to host OWA and I also have a web server the problem is, my firewall only allows me to map 1 port to 1 internal IP. So if I map port 80 to Exchange for OWA I can't use my web server without having a port numbber in the URL.

This might be more of a firewall issue than an Exchange but is there a way to move OWA to a different web server? Would I then be looking at a front end back end configuration?

Re: OWA on a different web server?

Hi,

wht if you configure multiple IP address on tht box, 1 is for exchange and 2 is for web server.

Rgds

Comment

As muneer_bom3 says you can just add an additional IP address for the server. Of course seeing as you are asking about moving OWA to another server how about moving your other website to that server instead?
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

try to use NAT on your FW.

Comment

Originally posted by Aazzin View Post
          I want to host OWA and I also have a web server the problem is, my firewall only allows me to map 1 port to 1 internal IP. So if I map port 80 to Exchange for OWA I can't use my web server without having a port numbber in the URL.

This might be more of a firewall issue than an Exchange but is there a way to move OWA to a different web server? Would I then be looking at a front end back end configuration?
          Yes to that you would need to have a Front & Back end Exchange configuration. The cheaper option is to upgrade your firewall so that it can handle multiple internal/external ip addresses. Note that you will also need multiple External IP's for this config to work. Otherwise how will your firewall know which internal address to route to from the same incoming requests? You would need a firewall that could cope with Host Headers (does such a device exist?)

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          As muneer_bom3 says you can just add an additional IP address for the server. Of course seeing as you are asking about moving OWA to another server how about moving your other website to that server instead?
          This is very bad practice making your Exchange DB server a public web host as well. What if the web site is comprimised and the hacker manages to take control of the server?

Originally posted by dolihi View Post
          try to use NAT on your FW.
          NAT does not work for incomming addresses. Multiple incomming IP's are needed or a firewall that can cope with Host Headers.
          Last edited by tonyyeb; 16th June 2008, 14:40.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

This is very bad practice making your Exchange DB server a public web host as well. What if the web site is compromised and the hacker manages to take control of the server?
            I was just going to go off on a rant about just providing workarounds to the original question asked but to be fair, I agree it would be poor practice in the long run, hence the idea to move the "public" site to the other server that was mentioned.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I was just going to go off on a rant about just providing workarounds to the original question asked but to be fair, I agree it would be poor practice in the long run, hence the idea to move the "public" site to the other server that was mentioned.
              Fair enough. I always try to give the best /safest advice possible. I often find people suggest work arounds / hacks and the next post is "I did what you suggested and now my server is BSODing every 5 mins... what is the fix?".
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X