X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of Userfolders at Exchange 2003

Hello,

hopefully some has an answer for me....

Is there any know recommendation on how large a user's folder at a maximum should be? I am not talking about the store itself which is 16 GB (standard edition) or 16 TB (enterprise)

Any help is welcome!

thx
    Andreas

I'm unaware there is a limit. I know that PST's really shouldn't go over 2gb, they start to corrupt.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi.
      thx for such a fast answer.

ok - there is no known limit.... Any issues known when having users with about 6 - 8 GB in their folder....

Where are talking about an Exchange 2003 Enterprise running on Windows Server 2003 (Dual, P3, 1.7 Ghz, 4 GB RAM)

Does someone know about any sideeffects?

bye
      Andreas

Comment

Again not that i'm aware of. I've seen users around 4gb size before but when we had a cull they were cut back. Are you having any specific problems?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

well..... some users have, of course..., problems with offline folders because of the 2GB-Limit of the *.ost-files

We had a userfolder with 9 GB..... Outlook 2000 crashed at that time and we used Outlook Web Access to cut it down to 3 GB.

I do not want to wait for problems to come. Therefore i am looking for "official" whitepapers that prove my opinon that a users folder should be limited to around 400-500 MB.

So, if anyone has:

- how can i extend the 2gb-limit of *.ost's (i heard something about unicode)
          - has someone a whitepaper at hand?

thx for any help

Comment

Originally posted by walther40789
            - how can i extend the 2gb-limit of *.ost's (i heard something about unicode)
            thx for any help
            From what ive heard, Outlook 2003 has better PST and OST handling and seems to help with the 2gb limit issue.
            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

the users where i have enabled the offlinefolder are using outlook 2003.

Meanwhile i found an article saying that, with outlook 2003, an ost my grow up to 20 GB.... but nothing was said about how to enable this. I just checked (remotely) one of the workstations and outlook is hanging with synchronising with the exchange server. The userfolder is about 2,5 gb.

Outlook is pops up a message like "Outlook is trying to connect to the exchange", looks like that the client is having problems while getting the mails... I checked the exchange and it is up and running....

any ideas?

Comment

Working...
              X