• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change active exchange 2003 to dc

Hi all (this is my first post)

i have a big problem...

i have 2 AD 2003 domain controllers and 1 exchange 2003 server

currently the active exchange server is not a domain controller.
    i want to know what is the prerequisites before adding the server to become DC?

thanks

Re: change active exchange 2003 to dc

Whilst Exchange 2003 will allow you to install onto a Domain Controller it isn't recommended.
    I don't know if it is possible to run dcpromo on a box whilst Exchange is installed but if it was it would almost certainly break it requiring a re-install of Exchange.

Why do you need a 3rd DC is the key question?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Basically, DONT DO IT!

MS strongly recommend that Exchange is on a member server and state clearly that promoting an exchange server is not possible http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

First, thanks for replying...

second, i thought to do so because when i'm creating a new mail enabled user in the domain, i don't see the exchange tabs in the user properties. i only see it in the exchange server.

do you have an alternative way to perform this action?

Comment

You can install the Exchange Admin Tools (customised version of Active Directory Users and Computers) on any client (XP) or server in the domain. Just run the exchange setup and select "admin tools only" (or something similar) as the install type.

Alternatively, you can manage users in general from your exchange server without it being a DC
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thanks again...

I will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              You can install the Exchange Admin Tools (customised version of Active Directory Users and Computers) on any client (XP) or server in the domain. Just run the exchange setup and select "admin tools only" (or something similar) as the install type.

Alternatively, you can manage users in general from your exchange server without it being a DC
              Be careful when installing the Exchange Admin Tools, though it has only happened to me once I had a problem with sending emails (example: from word to Outlook) I traced it to "mapi32.dll". Aparently the Exchange Admin Tools installed older version of the file.

Note that this has only happened to me once.

Richard
              Last edited by Lancashire-ep; 12th June 2008, 13:49. Reason: Added name
              We can't direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails

Comment

Microsoft do not support the change of the machine role when Exchange is installed. Therefore if you make the machine a domain controller (or remove the domain controller functionality) with Exchange installed you are unsupported and will most likely break Exchange.

Also, technically Exchange 2003 ESM and Outlook on the same machine is not supported either - due to the MAPI issues that have been indicated. While it does work (and I have done it myself a number of times) you have to be careful and occasionally things go wrong. It isn't an older version of MAPI that is the problem - it is a different version of MAPI - the one designed for Exchange servers as opposed to Outlook clients.

Simon.
                --
                Simon Butler
                Exchange MVP

Blog: http://blog.sembee.co.uk/
                More Exchange Content: http://exchange.sembee.info/
                Exchange Resources List: http://exbpa.com/
                In the UK? Hire me: http://www.sembee.co.uk/

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.

Comment

Working...
                X