Clear All

• Remove Exchage 2000 server from organisation

Hi all

Current config:

Server 1 - Front End
    Server 2 - Backend and bridgehead
    Server 3 - Backend
    Server 4 - Backend

We are in the process of moving the mailboxes from Server 4 to Server 3. Then I want to remove Server 4, format it and use it for other tasks. Is it a simple as uninstalling Exchange or are there other considerations to thing about?

Thanks
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Does anyone have any hints or tips on this one or is it a simple matter of uninstalling Exchange and that should do it?
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

es, it should be a simple task. Just keep in mind to:

- Move all MBXs or delete them. You cannot uninstall when there are still some MBXs on the server.

- Replicate PFs, including the system ones (mainly Free/Busy).

- Move connectors, bridghead server roles, Routing Group Master roles.

- Consider ADC issues (if you have ADC).

- Consider RUS issues.

- Consider Offline AL issues.

- Consider OWA issues, such as SSL certificates and so on.

- Good Luck!
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
        - Move all MBXs or delete them. You cannot uninstall when there are still some MBXs on the server.
        Done that
        - Replicate PFs, including the system ones (mainly Free/Busy).
        Public folders are on another server only
        - Move connectors, bridghead server roles, Routing Group Master roles.

- Consider ADC issues (if you have ADC).
        Not an issue here
        - Consider RUS issues.
        Such as....?
        - Consider Offline AL issues.
        AL? What is this please?
        - Consider OWA issues, such as SSL certificates and so on.
        We use a front end server so hopefully this wont be an issue.
        - Good Luck!
        Im going to need it i think!
        Server 2000 MCP

Comment

AL is short for Address List. The OAL is generated by one server, make sure it's not the one you're removing, and if so, change it.

RUS is also targeted by one server towards one DC. Make sure it's not the one you're removing, and if so, change it.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Excellent, they are both on my first deployed Exchange server which isn't the one im getting rid of. As to public folers. The public folder store on the server i want to remove says it is:

First Administrative Group/Public Folders

Which is the same as the other servers but this stores pub1.edb is much bigger than the others. Why is that?! Surely they are all the same thing? Will uninstalling exchange cause my public folders to go tits up!?

Also if i remove this server from my backups (it has no mailboxes on) what will be affected?

Many thanks
            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
            X