X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing applications via VPN

Hello Again

Yet another newbie question - sorry !

We have Server 2003 up-and-running in our small office. Users have successfully connected (remotely) to the server using VPN and can access folders.

They are now asking whether it's possible to have access to applications (such as Sage Accounting) on the server. Am I right in assuming that for such an arrangement it's necessary to run an instance of the application on the client and connect to the appropriate data folders on the server ?

Fen

This question is in the wrong forum...

How are they connecting remotely? Terminal Services etc or just VPN directly into the local network?

If its TS you can load the app on the machine and they can run it. If its VPN they'll need to install the app on the client and point it at the appropriate data like you stated.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

There are HUGE licensing issues at stake here that you need to be very aware of!
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Hi

Sorry for posting to the wrong forum and thanks for the replies.

They are connecting directly into the network (not terminal services).

If the application was licensed for say 10 users then I'd have assumed it wouldn't matter if they were connected locally or remotely ?

Fen

Comment

Sorry i should have said using terminal services for this would have large license implications. Over VPN is going to very slow particulary for database backend apps like sage.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X