No announcement yet.

Restore one user mailbox from recovered MDBDATA folder?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore one user mailbox from recovered MDBDATA folder?

Hey guys!
    Something went wrong with the backup so the mailboxes were not backed up. ( don't even start ). I do however have a shadowcopy of the MDBDATA folder - so I have recovered the whole priv1.edb, log files and the rest of the files therein.

How can I mount the "old priv1.edb" as a different store and extract one users mailbox (or really just one folder of that users mailbox)? Preferrably without taking down the Exchange server during the process. Will there be any transaction log problems? I do not want to jeapordise the operation of the mailserver doing this...

Edit: I do not have a disaster recovery on my hands. One user lost one folder with newsletters and I wish to recover just that folder, the problem is that the backup failed so I have to recover that one newsletter folder directoly from the shadowcopy of priv1.edb. That's what I need some pointers on. Thanks!
    Last edited by Anders; 27th May 2008, 10:20. Reason: Added background to the problem.
    A wise man once said: "Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups".

Any advice I give is to the best of my knowledge, there is no guarantee what so ever that it will actually work in your particular scenario. I will not accept any responsibility for unexpected consequences, after all - you are taking advice from a complete stranger over the internet. =)

Re: Restore one user mailbox from recovered MDBDATA folder?

If you are using Exchange 2003 then it might mount in a recovery storage group. If it is Exchange 2000 then you are looking at a recovery server.

Simon Butler
    Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
    Exchange Resources List:
    In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.