Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create automatic NDR when sending to one domain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create automatic NDR when sending to one domain?

Hello All,

I know Exchange, but apparently not well enough! We own a domain and this case I'll use a made up name: companyinc.com. Many users in my organization accidentally email to company.com, instead of companyINC.com. I would like to setup Exchange so that if users send mail to company.com, they get an NDR or some sort of message stating there was a problem. The message doesn't have to be so elaborate, as long as they realize the message wasn't sent (some of the smart ones will figure out why).

I've created a SMTP connector for that domain and in delivery restrictions I've selected "reject all". I did the Microsoft registry edit so this works (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/277872). However, test messages sit in the queue. I've restarted the appropriate services, but no luck.

What am I doing wrong? Is there another method?

FYI:
    * NDRs are turned off for spam reasons, but this is for external emails to us, we do get NDRs for internal issues

* I have front/back end. For the connector explained above, I'm using the front end as the bridge head

EDIT: Reading more, I think smtp connectors are used for intra-organizational email... I forgot about this! Eitherway, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Carbon_Filter; 20th May 2008, 20:51.
    Andre
    New York City

Re: How to create automatic NDR when sending to one domain?

If an SMTP connector exists for foobar.com, and that connector is configured to send email to a bogus smart host, then Exchange will use that connector because it's more specific to the destination than the * connector (assuming you have one).
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

...but will it generate an NDR immediatly or before a few days passes?

Thanks Dan!
      Andre
      New York City

Comment

If the smart host is bogus it will try and fail. You can configure another SMTP Virtual Server with a retry interval of 1 minute, and configure the SMTP Connector to use that specific SMTP VS. Do not use the default SMTP VS because that'll cause all the outgoing SMTP traffic to fail if the destination is temporarily unreachable, instead of using the normal retry interval.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
        X