Recovery Storage Groups... Not working properly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovery Storage Groups... Not working properly

When I go to add database to recover, it does nothing...

Prior to doing nothing, it would give me the snap in error until I told it to stop notifying me of the error every time it happened.

I've created everything properly, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've followed Microsoft's advice and I've followed everything I've found here to exact specifications, it's just that when I go to add the database to recover, it can't or won't do it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Todd
    My job consists of 30% luck, 50% knowledge and skill and 20% total BS.

Re: Recovery Storage Groups... Not working properly

Hello Todd

Since we donot have complete explanation of ur problem..I have a few questions....

R we adding the databases in the same admin group?
    U said we are getting a snapin error..wot is it?
    Is the user thru which ur adding a member of the Exchange admin group..
    Any logs in the eventvwr?
    Wot abt permissions on the mailbox..Is the inheritence fine from the ORG level?

Regards

Fazal
    Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Originally posted by fazal View Post
      Hello Todd

Since we donot have complete explanation of ur problem..I have a few questions....

R we adding the databases in the same admin group?
      U said we are getting a snapin error..wot is it?
      Is the user thru which ur adding a member of the Exchange admin group..
      Any logs in the eventvwr?
      Wot abt permissions on the mailbox..Is the inheritence fine from the ORG level?

Regards

Fazal
      First, thank you for replying... I'll answer the questions as best I can. Here goes:

Yes, I have created the RSG in the following location: First Administrative Group > Servers > Exchange (This is where my Queues, First Storage Group and Protocals folder is located). The actual location of the RSG Database (or where I want it to be) is going to be a 500GB HD External. I've also tried to put the RSG on my internal 160GB HD.

The Snap In Error I'm getting is very generic and it happens when I go to add the database to recover on the RSG I created. It says, the Snap In has created an error and it gives me three options. 1) Send to Microsoft and close the application, 2) don't show the error anymore for this session but keep working and 3) never show the error again for this session or any other session. There are no error codes or any other identifiable features to the error other than "The Snap In has created an error". It's very, VERY generic.

I'm trying to create the RSG so that I can restore Exchange and pull one mailbox out and have access to emails that were maliciously deleted on or around the 15th of May. It is my understanding that in order to do this I have to create the RSG, add the database to recover (Where my problem actually lies) then use exmerge.exe to remove the .PST file I need. (This coming from MS Knowledgebase Article 824126)

As I type this, I haven't checked the event viewer. I will do so now... This is the only thing I see as far as an error for what I've been doing and it just occurred because I tried the restore once again: Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
      (Server: "EXCHANGESERVER") (Job: "Restore 00091") Restore 00091 -- The job failed with the following error: Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted or because the Recovery Storage Group is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager to check the configuration of the Recovery Storage Group and the mount status of the databases.

As far as permissions go, I'm backing up and restoring as Administrator on my Exchange Server (full permissions to all items). I'm not sure if there's another set of permissions I'm missing or what.

Like I said, I'm getting very generic, plain error's from ESM when I go to add the database to recover. That's my main problem... I can create the RSG perfectly, just when I go to add the database to my external drive, the ESM gives me a Snap In error.

Anyway, I hope these answers help you to help me! I really appreciate the help and if I ever could help you, please let me know.

Thanks,
      Todd
      Last edited by tplatt; 20th May 2008, 15:06. Reason: Specifiy more clearly where I am putting the RSG

Comment

I believe i saw the error before when circular logging was enabled on the server.
        I read an issue with it concerning Back-up Exec 10d. I'l see if i can find the article.
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

This is also NOT the Enterprise edition of Exchange. I just have the standard edition.

THanks so much for the help guys!

Comment

Okay, I am still having this issue, but I found a work around...

I simply restored the deleted items through Outlook. Easy enough. I am being a bit hard on myself because I didn't think of it sooner.

I am still very interested in a fix for my issue above. I don't understand why that is happening. It's probably something simple and I'm just being too much of a puddin' head to figure it out...

Thanks guys!

Comment

Dear Todd

Thanks for the detailed explanation...I do see that u have found a work around to the problem..

As per the existing problem,it seems to be an issue with Veritas..One of the questions that come to my mind is that Did we take a normal Information store backup or a snapshot backup coz a snapshots cannot be restored to RSG and u get the same error that u posted..check this link below..

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279927.htm

Other thing we need to check is that whether the Symantec service account has exchange permissions or not..I believe it neeeds to be added to the Exchange Administrators Group.

We may take a look at the article below ...just to make sure we are not missing something.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264815.htm

The next step would be to try and tweak the veritas settings...we need to edit the registry,,Make sure we backup the registries before making any changes..need to create a DWORD value under

HKLM\Software\Veritas\BackupExec\Engine\ese
              name = "ignore mount state" (without quotes)
              value = DWORD(1)

The last option which is rare ....This errror might happen due to corrupted backup or inconsistent media..try using a backup from a different date...

Hope this helps

Regards

Fazal
              Fazal Zaidi
              MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Dear Todd

My appolgies!!!!!!May be I have missunderstood the isssue...even after the detailed explanation...huh!..Since I checked the bold part and saw the errors.....I just thought its a common probs with Veritas...

Lets getback to MS since I believe restore to RSG was successfull..Steps worth a try

1)Register maildsmx.dll.Its responsible for mailbox stores.
                2)R we using LCS on ur server..Known to cause isssues with RSG..There are hotfixes available.900253
                4)You may not be able to add any mailbox store to RSG in E2K3 if there is an extra leading\trailing parenthesis in mailbox store in the complete exchange organization..
                5)R we using Symantec antivirus...
                Check the key in the registry..
                HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeI S\VirusScan..Make sure its set to 0
                6)We may need to re-install the ESM..
                7)After checking that I normally remove exchange binaries and manually remove exchange...KB 833396..

May be I am missing out something and others may fill the gap

Regards

Fazal
                Fazal Zaidi

Comment

Dear Todd

Thanks for the detailed explanation...I do see that u have found a work around to the problem..

As per the existing problem,it seems to be an issue with Veritas..One of the questions that come to my mind is that Did we take a normal Information store backup or a snapshot backup coz a snapshots cannot be restored to RSG and u get the same error that u posted..check this link below..

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279927.htm
                  I'm doing a normal Information Store Backup, not a snapshot. I checked that after reading some stuff here just to be sure.

Other thing we need to check is that whether the Symantec service account has exchange permissions or not..I believe it neeeds to be added to the Exchange Administrators Group.

We may take a look at the article below ...just to make sure we are not missing something.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264815.htm
                  We have exchange permissions set up on Veritas, although one thing I did tweak yesterday was backing up of individual mailboxes. That option wasn't checked prior to yesterday. I assume (and I know that's wrong to assume!!) that with the settings the way they were prior to yesterday, I was backing up the entire store as a database and now, with the setting edited to backup individual mailboxes, I'm now backing up individual mailboxes.

The next step would be to try and tweak the veritas settings...we need to edit the registry,,Make sure we backup the registries before making any changes..need to create a DWORD value under

HKLM\Software\Veritas\BackupExec\Engine\ese
                  name = "ignore mount state" (without quotes)
                  value = DWORD(1)
                  This is something that I will try this week. I think the "ignore mount state" might help.

The last option which is rare ....This errror might happen due to corrupted backup or inconsistent media..try using a backup from a different date...

Hope this helps

Regards

Fazal
                  We should be good on the backup media seeing as how I did a restore of some other files from that tape. I did try other tapes prior to finding my work around which all had the same "error" from Veritas.

__________________________________________________ __________

Dear Todd

My appolgies!!!!!!May be I have missunderstood the isssue...even after the detailed explanation...huh!..Since I checked the bold part and saw the errors.....I just thought its a common probs with Veritas...

Lets getback to MS since I believe restore to RSG was successfull..Steps worth a try

1)Register maildsmx.dll.Its responsible for mailbox stores.
                  2)R we using LCS on ur server..Known to cause isssues with RSG..There are hotfixes available.900253
                  4)You may not be able to add any mailbox store to RSG in E2K3 if there is an extra leading\trailing parenthesis in mailbox store in the complete exchange organization..
                  5)R we using Symantec antivirus...
                  Check the key in the registry..
                  HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeI S\VirusScan..Make sure its set to 0
                  6)We may need to re-install the ESM..
                  7)After checking that I normally remove exchange binaries and manually remove exchange...KB 833396..

May be I am missing out something and others may fill the gap

Regards

Fazal
                  Fazal, thanks for your interest in my problem and all of the time and effort you are putting into helping me!

Here's my best shot...

1) I read something in the knowledgebase about maildsmx.dll but didn't want to go messing around with it. Forgive me for sounding ignorant, but is registering a dll file complicated? I've never actually had to do that before.

2) We have LCS2005 installed on another server but it is not used or set up nor is it active. It was installed by the previous Network Admin. I should probably remove that...

3) There was no three so we'll jump to four...

4) I will have to check that, although I think we're fine. 9 months after taking this position I'm still finding things that the previous Network Admin messed up.

5) We are using Trend Micro SMB. Not the best out there but it's doing it's job.

6) I saw that somewhere as well. That is an option that I might undertake here in the next few days.

7) Removing Exchange would be a last resort. Living in Hurricane Alley (Louisiana) and working almost in the exact same spot that Hurricane Rita hit in 2005, this might have to be moved up. I'm really thinking about rebuilding my entire Exchange Server from the ground up. It will take a while, but it may be worth it in the long run.

Fazal, again, thank you so much for the help you are giving me. I hope that my answers are shedding some light on the issues at hand. Also, forgive me for being somewhat new to this as I'm still learning.

Thanks,
                  Todd

Comment

Hello Todd

Its my pleasure to work on broken servers...u know thats how we earn our living..I"ll be happy to see ur problem fixed..

Talking about registering a dll..its quite simple..Open up command prompt..go to the location of the dll and type in regsvr32 filename.dll(Inour case its regsvr32 maildsmx.dll )

If we are not using LCS it wud be a wise option to remove that though the hotfix I mentioned says ur snapin wud crash if u have administration tools for both exchange and LCS on same machine..

If we have any antivirus for exchange which incase is trying to scan ur database(Not at all reccomended) It wud set the virus scan key to 1(Enabled)..databases shud alwaz be excluded from scan...

Regards

Fazal
                    Fazal Zaidi

Comment

Working...
                    X