No announcement yet.

Fixed IP Exchange 2003

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed IP Exchange 2003

Cant remember if I can get away with this or if i need a fixed IP from my ISP.
    Basically im moving my company over to a Domain based infrasctructure and over to Exchange 2003. At present we have a dynamic Ip address from our ISP. Do we need a fixed IP from our ISP in order to get Exchange 2003 to recieve external mails or can we get away with dynamic, without any problems. I know about changing all the mx records etc. Just not sure on the Ip issue.

Re: Fixed IP Exchange 2003

A static ip would be best but if you cannot get one you can use a dynamic DNS service like I use this for my home server and it works great but I would only recommend it in a production business environment if you have no other choice.

Thanks, due to the nature of the business. We cannot use a fixed IP address. Which is a bit of a pain

You can use Exchange with a dynamic IP address, but it is a pain. I ran Exchange at home on a dynamic IP address for two years, before I switched to a business class ISP.
        You also cannot send email directly, you will have to send email through the ISPs smart host.

Simon Butler
        Exchange MVP

More Exchange Content:
        Exchange Resources List:
        In the UK? Hire me:

Sembee is a registered trademark, used here with permission.