Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POP3 connections

Hello

My question is similar to that of mrwhiskers (4 Feb) and I too am a novice. Our small company has Windows Server 2003 with a single domain ( <ourcompany>.local ). We are looking to introduce Exchange Server 2003.

Currently, users download to Outlook from the external mail provider with email addresses of <name>@<ourcompany>.co.uk.

I see that there are many third-party connectors available for downloading POP3 mail to Exchange, but I also read on http://www.swinc.com/resources/excha...p_diatribe.asp that it is better to set up an SMTP connection from the ISP to Exchange server and that this arrangement is easier and cheaper than maintaining a global POP account or a set of POP accounts.

I would be grateful for a comment on this from an experienced user.

Whichever route we go down is there any implication with regard to the local domain name (i.e. would it need to be changed) ?

Thank you

Fen

I personally don't like POP3 connectors. They are bulky, they sometimes don't work, and they force you to create mailboxes on your ISP's server instead of creating your own. I'd go with the SMTP connector idea.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you Daniel - very helpful advice.

Will there be any problem with regard to the internal domain name <ourcompany>.local, not matching the external email address [email protected]<ourcompany>.co.uk ?

Fen

Comment

You need to work this out with your ISP, and ask them to hold your queues till you come up and pick them. As far as the domain name goes, it shouldn't be a problem as ling as you create a new recipient policy for the legal domain name.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thank you very much Daniel

I'll follow this up

Fen

Comment

Working...
          X