Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrate an Exchange Environment to Virtualization

Hello People

We have some issues in our exchange system.

After we finished the migration from 5.5 to 2003 some problems arrive which caused problems
    with the 5.5 servers, there weren't any problem cause I that time all the inboxes, public folders,
    system files were already migrate it, also the Active directory connection server failed but then
    again no problem cause the new exchange was working like a charm and still do.

Now with have some issues we are presented every some minutes via Event Viewer.

So in essence the problem is simple, the event viewer is telling me that Exchange is seeking for the old servers and
    that there's a problem related to the system attendant for the same reason.

Also in the Sites & services of Active Directory I still have the agreement connection between our old domain and the
    new one which was created for the migration from NT to 2003.

I guess that I have the solution, but there are two majors problems, I don't want to do changes in production and
    also we don't have money to contract a consultant which in my country anyway sucks and still are very expensive, by
    experience sometimes with finished doing the job.

What I would like to is the next

System State Backup to our DC's and restore them in a virtual environment.

An Exchange Backup (Just the DB?) and do a restore in a virtual environment.

But I'd never has done this before and also the exchange server is a Cluster, I can created an Exchange cluster in vmware.

I would like to know the best way to do this, to restore the Exchange together with active directory so I can test the changes in a lab before
    doing so in production.

Another thing....

If I restore in another server do I will have same errors?

Regards

Last edited by Nehemoth; 24th April 2008, 19:34.
    When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Re: Migrate an Exchange Environment to Virtualization

Quick question - what are you doing in Active Directory sites and Services? What are you looking for, in there?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Quick question - what are you doing in Active Directory sites and Services? What are you looking for, in there?

Thank you Danielp for your answer, let me answer you.

As you can see in the first screenshot of ADS&S the servers
      which I want to remove from my Exchange Organization are listed
      there (EXCHANGE3 and SVREXCH00) and I have the option to delete
      it from there.

In the second ADS&S screenshot you have our two old Active Directory
      Connection which were created for the Domain migration, which are
      Config CA_TRICOM_SVREXCON and TRICOM-ADC which also I would like to
      delete it.

For now that's what I wanna do, but of course I want to do it in a
      virtualize environment with zero margin of error.

Even today I found this info when I was searching for something else
      http://forums.msexchange.org/m_130023900/printable.htm

What do you think?

Regards
      When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

OK.

I did the Backup of my Exchange Infrastructure (Read, DC1, DC2, Exch_Cluster_Node 1 and Exch_Cluster_Node 2).

I Create already 2 Virtual Machines for the Domain Controllers.
        I create a Subnet on VMWARE Workstation So I Will no have problem with that.

The DC1 has been completed restored, all is working like a charm.

I will restore the DC2 in some minutes and later I will see how can I restore one of the exchange cluster Nodes.

Let see if the disk signature don't become a major problem.

Hope all this come to a great end it.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Well it appears that I did something wrong restoring the DCs.

I can not see the Sysvol and Netlogon folders been shared.

Which is the way to restore Active Directory as is there not Domain Controllers?

I'm reading about authoritative and non-authoritative but I dont have experience doing this, so any advice will be appreciate.

Regards

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Begun from scratch again.

First domain controller restore in an Authoritative way and all REALLY working like a charm, doing so in the second domain controller but a Non-Authoritative restore.

Learned so far....When you want to restore a Domain Controller you must doing so in the Directory Services Restore Mode.
            Last edited by Nehemoth; 27th April 2008, 14:10.

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

OK, I restored DC2, the replication is working like a charm.

Now I need to seek information of how to restore exchange in another server.

The problem here is that I don't know if when I restore just the Exchange Database all the errors will be there (which is what I want).

Let see them.

Any help very appreciate..

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Still working on this one...

check this great info

Convert An Exchange Cluster To Normal Server Part 1

Convert An Exchange Cluster To Normal Server Part 2

Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                X