Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Anti-Spam Software

Hi Everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this, but since I use Exchange 2003 on MS Server 2003, this is the best place to post. I value everyone's opinion here greatly and am searching for a replacment to my current anti-spam software: Sunbelt Software's Ninja. Ninja is okay - not horrible - but I am always facing problems with their constant upgrades which always create a new problem. Today, I have messages stuck in my queue.

I am running 2 Exchange Standard servers, one as a back-end and the other as a front-end. Ninja is installed on the back-end. My environment is very simple when it comes to messaging. We have 75 people in our Exchange environment. Everyone uses Outlook. Everyone is accustomed to opening a "spam" folder and going through it.

Can anyone recommmend an anti-spam software that you actually use? A lot of people tell me, "I heard so and so is good", but then I test it out, waste my time, and move forward. I don't mind putting my anti-spam out of my network and perhaps that'd be better. I want full control through, with custom rules, different sets of user levels, etc.

Any suggestions?
    Andre
    New York City

Re: Suggestions on Anti-Spam Software

We use PineApps for one site which I'm really impressed with and one of our guys really like razor with a plugin I can't remember on I think FreeBSD?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I use GFI MailEssentials for the past year and half. For the first year, I didn't pay much attention and getting a lot of spams in my end users who belongs to 5-8 mailing list, about 30-40 each day in their junk email. For end users that did not, they get less then 10. After I understood what GFI did, the multiple end users get less then 15 and non multiple lists gets about 3 or none. I filtered about 98% of my spams.

GFI lets you have total control of how you want the spams to react. Do you want to set its action to delete or move to junk email folder of end users (exchange only), and many more actions.

I set my action to delete if spammers belong to my Custom Blacklist, DNS blacklist, and if email address does not belong in my Active Directory.

What's also great is that it understands how your email works..self learning so it can detect what is spams or not. The software also create public folders in OutLook for you to push all your spams email there for process, so that the system can recognize what are spams.

You can even set the order of imporantance of each objects. for example, if mail goes into your system, do you want GFI to lookup wether it belongs to a DNS blacklist first or Keyword Checking? The order and actions really matters. If you set Keyword checking in the first order and have its action set to move to end user's junk email, but DNS checking as Delete, then that mail will move to the junk email folder.

i do not work for GFI. I was also told to try postini. But I hate to call a third party vendor each time I have a questions about SPAMs. GFI is an inhouse software that rests on your Exchange Server.

Comment

It can be down to so many factors. Having the software on the exchange gives a bit more control to the admin but leaves the servers doing the work. Taking it out on a device in between costs more generally (apart from os solutions maybe) and leaving it to a 3rd party can sometimes reduce the work of the admin but also the configuration abilities. This is of course very general.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

there are great free open source solutions out there. a simple linux mail filtering front end for exchange is the cheapest and in my experience most effective way to go
          ________
          IOLITE VAPORIZER REVIEW
          Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:32.
          Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Working...
          X