logs dont vanished after backup if one database is unmount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• logs dont vanished after backup if one database is unmount

on exchange 2003 SP1 i unmanount one database in the fiststorage group were the main database is set. from this time, after i backup the exchange, the log didnt earesed. how can i omit this?

arie shenar.

Why should you un-mount the DB before the backup? Is there any logical reason for your action?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

if you're talking about the transaction logs, the will vanish when you create a Online exchange backup. with dismounting you're store, you will create a offline backup and those transaction logs will not vanish.

you don't tell us which backup software you are using, but most third party software has agents for exchange
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Re: logs dont vanished after backup if one database is unmount

I recall from my Exchange 2003 course that this is standard behaviour.

Something about the exchange server either using one log for all stores, or just not knowing which log is for which store, so if it doesn't back them all up, it doesn't clear the logs. Same would happen if you backed up one storage group one night, and another group on another night.

The sollutions to this are,

a/ backup all information stores in one operation so it clears the logs automatically.

or

b/ backup the stores you need to be able to restore and then before they come back online you can delete the logs manually.

Comment

Working...
        X